Question about my new Culms growing, or lack of.

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Zaid
Location info: 0

Question about my new Culms growing, or lack of.

Post by Zaid »

Hi all new here and was hoping you guys could help me out. I currently have some Buddha Belly Bamboo planted in a pot, and it has a culm beginning to emerge and was wonder how long will it take to start growing, its been the same for a little over a week. Does it need more frequent watering or perhaps some food? Thanks all in advance.
Mackel in DFW

Re: Question about my new Culms growing, or lack of.

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Soak it in a larger pot of water periodically and use organic fertilizer.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Similar conditions on an Oldhamii here, the second shoot to emerge has doubled the height of the first, the first is starting to branch at about a foot tall with weird branches. So that is odd behavior for the first shoot to stall in my experience, generally an unusually prolonged cool/rainy spell can cause that but we've not had those conditions. In general bamboo will initiate more shoots than it can fully develop and the later ones can just sit there while the rest shoot up. If the 'other's fully develop then the stalled ones generally abort.

But again, it is odd for the first shoots to stall unless weather gets weird. Or perhaps the Bambusa which are new to me behave differently. With the runners - my experience almost exclusively is with them - the first shoot is often the largest and usually does not abort.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Zaid

Post by Zaid »

Awesome thanks for help Ill definitely do that then.