How fast should yellow groove grow?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Burritokiller
Location info: 0

How fast should yellow groove grow?

Post by Burritokiller »

I'm in Kansas City and am now on year 3 trying to grow a large screen of bamboo at back of my property. We planted 60+ small yellow groove plants and have been really disappointed how slowly they are progressing. Most are still 2-3' clumps. We have irrigation system throughout and contained it all with a 6mm barrier to keep it from running, and there has been some spreading, but not much. Everything I've read says yellow groove is quick to establish and grow, but we're not seeing it.

Is there something I can do to propagate or does it just take a few years before it truly spreads and starts heading vertically?

Thanks for your help.
jd.

Re: How fast should yellow groove grow?

Post by jd. »

In addition to water, a bamboo like yellow groove requires fertile soil and full sunlight to grow and spread rapidly. These factors become more important in an area where the bamboo may suffer leaf damage from a cold winter.
Burritokiller wrote: Is there something I can do to propagate or does it just take a few years before it truly spreads and starts heading vertically?
Given bamboo that's already planted, you can boost soil fertility over time by adding layers of organic mulch or compost. Organic mulch helps to inhibit some competing plants while increasing soil organic matter as the mulch breaks down. Soil organic matter acts like a sponge that stores and releases nutrients and water as needed by a rapidly growing bamboo plant.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' in well irrigated and fertile spot in full sun. It grows extremely fast, above and under the soil. It started slow, because I received a rather shitty division, but the second year, it exploded - and every year after that. I think it may be one of most if not the most vigorous bamboo around here. It can take low temperatures and doesn't die easily even when exposed to short lasting water-logged conditions. Aggressive runner.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

I don't know about Kansas, but here in the DC area it spreads really fast. I've been trying to get rid of mine.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Fertilize! Use generous amounts of organics (like Milorganite) a few times a year, or a good layer of composted manure. Synthetic fertilizers are fine too but I don't use them on my in-ground plants because I'm not good at following instructions and the organics I use are pretty forgiving.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

If you started with small plants and had any winter damage since planting it would explain slow development. Not sure if that happened but it will take forever for a small bamboo to size up if it gets winter damaged.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Burritokiller

Post by Burritokiller »

needmore wrote:If you started with small plants and had any winter damage since planting it would explain slow development. Not sure if that happened but it will take forever for a small bamboo to size up if it gets winter damaged.
Interesting. The plants were placed in late October 2013 and I did lose a few to that first winter. Perhaps the others were also damaged. That could explain the continued slow growth. In that case sounds like I may be out of luck. :cry:
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

You need a couple of winters in a row where the above ground foliage does not get damaged, in general I expect the number of canes in the clump planted to either double in number and size up slightly or double in number and double in height/diameter. Cold damage will greatly interrupt that upsize cycle and KC strikes me as being on the edge of frequent subzero spells in winter.

Did you notice if the original plants had rhizome circling in the pots or was none visible when you planted it> One well rooted/rhizomed 5 gallon pot will grow leaps & bounds compared to several smaller pots that do not have lots of rhizome. My experience was always to source the largest size I can find and afford, which means fewer plants but a better chance at size soon. In an area where winters don't go subzero it does not matter so much.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Burritokiller

Post by Burritokiller »

Thanks Needmore. The plants were small and don't remember circling rhizomes. Starting to see some nice shoots popping up now and have taken advice and spread fertilizer. Fingers crossed that 2016 is the year.