Germinating seeds

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

cannamaniac
Location info: 0

Germinating seeds

Post by cannamaniac »

I've recently (14th Feb) sown 20 seeds each of the following. Fargesia albocerea black, Fargesia Papyrifera, Fargesia Yunnanensis, Chusquea Culeou and Phyllostachys Viridis Sulphurea. I soaked the seeds in tepid water for 24 hours and then sowed them into a 50/50 multipurpose ,sharp sand mix. Then covered each pot in a clean plastic bag then placed them in a heated propagator set at 25c.Two days ago (18th) I noticed 4 sprouts in the albocereas and 5 in the papyriferas :D .
My dilemma is this. Should I keep those pots ,with sprouts showing, covered to slow down evaporation to maintain ideal germinating conditions? Will leaving the bags on jeopardize the health of the new sprouts with too much humidity?
Tarzanus

Re: Germinating seeds

Post by Tarzanus »

I usually keep them uncovered as soon as they poke out of the soil. Well, this time, as you've might have seen, I'm growing whole bunch of P. arcana 'Luteosulcata' seedlings and they grow super fast, without even misting them (their leaves, I do mist the soil when it gets dry so it takes water better).

You can leave it covered and open it for a couple of hours per day, just to make sure there's no mould explosion. Soon, they will get too large for the cover anyway. Good luck.
cannamaniac

Post by cannamaniac »

ImageP2210078 by smifter2012, on Flickr

ImageP2210079 by smifter2012, on Flickr

ImageP2210080 by smifter2012, on Flickr

Wet and windy again today ,so photo shoot seemed like a good idea :)
cannamaniac

Post by cannamaniac »

Tarzanus wrote:I usually keep them uncovered as soon as they poke out of the soil. Well, this time, as you've might have seen, I'm growing whole bunch of P. arcana 'Luteosulcata' seedlings and they grow super fast, without even misting them (their leaves, I do mist the soil when it gets dry so it takes water better).

You can leave it covered and open it for a couple of hours per day, just to make sure there's no mould explosion. Soon, they will get too large for the cover anyway. Good luck.
I'll uncover the pots with new sprouts for a few hours to let them air but I hope the drop in temperature wont slow the emergence of un-germinated seeds in those same pots.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I usually keep them around 22°C to 25°C. If it drops below 20°C, you might even see a difference, if not, I seriously doubt it.