Growing narrow strip of gracilis

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

broman
Location info: 0

Growing narrow strip of gracilis

Post by broman »

Hi,
I have a 40' x 20" strip of soil between an concrete walk and a fence (property line) in which I'd like to plant gracilis as a screen.
I figure I can get some type of screening going, even if the number of culms is not too great due to the narrow width.
If I put a plastic sheet on the fence side (by digging down at the fence line at an angle towards the neighbors yard) what will happen as the root system expands. Can I just let growth go unchecked, or will I have to be vigilant and cut out expansion towards the barrier (which would be undesirable, but not too difficult, given how soft the soil is? I hope to allow expansion along the fence line, but inhibit it perpendicular to the fence. An interesting example of a narrow strip is shown below. I'm hoping for something similar, but wouldn't be pruning the lower leaves.

Basically, I'm wondering if a thick plastic barrier would be enough to limit growth towards the neighbor's yard.
Thanks for any opinions.

Matt
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Growing narrow strip of gracilis

Post by needmore »

Greetings Matt, I'm not sure what your concern with Gracilis is and by plastic sheet do you mean real bamboo barrier or plastic sheeting? As a clumping bamboo it will not invade the neighbor's yard, if it would plastic sheeting is no barrier at all. But 20" I think is too narrow for a clumping bamboo and it would push on the fence very quickly. I obtained a 5 gallon Gracilis in Feb and it is already pushing new culms on the edges of a pot approaching 20".

Perhaps a running bamboo could work in that narrow space but you'll need real bamboo barrier not plastic sheeting.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
broman

Re: Growing narrow strip of gracilis

Post by broman »

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
Somehow the url of the photo showing a narrow strip of gracilis didn't get included in my message.
Here it is :

http://www.byronbamboo.com.au/products/ ... ilis/p/160

That patch of ground looks to be about 12" so it looks like it can be done.
So I'd like to submit my original questions to any who has an opinion.
Thanks again,

Matt

(I am talking about thick plastic barrier, and I believe that the gracilis will grow under the fence and into the neighbors yard eventually.
The fencing is only about 1/2" thick.