Boo-Shoots 2016

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

T9D
Location info: 0

Re: Boo-Shoots 2016

Post by T9D »

All 20 or so of my bamboo types are all done shooting and leafed out.

It's amazing how fast Rubromarginata grows. I didn't even get around to getting photos of the shoots and the next thing you know it's done. Such an odd shooter anyway though. It shoots, branches out, and leafs out all at the same time. Instead of stages like the others. And it's insanely thick and dense with crazy amounts of culms. Huge upsize. But it didn't spread even one bit. I always heard it's a crazy spreader, much faster than upsizer. But I only got a big upsize. Next year spreader I guess.
cole

Post by cole »

Thirty-one days of continuous shooting, then two days of nothing. It was really cool to find a skinny new baby this afternoon in a bed that's shadier than my others. Possibly arundinaria gigantea (river cane). This is a spot I buried six bare rhizomes that were basically 'throw-aways'. Poor culm buds and the largest was eight inches.
Attachments
6-29-16.jpg
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Even though the parvifolia didn't make many shoots, none of them any bigger than the fattest one from last year, there are 2 of them that may end up exceeding the tallest shoots of last year, as they have already broken the 20ft mark without much branching yet. My guess is that they should end up a similar size. It's still definitely the best performer in my climate.

Phyllostachys atrovaginata was once up to near 19ft tall, and over an inch in diameter back in 2013 before the tough winters happened, and this year, it doesn't look like it will have any culms taller than 12ft seeing that it has downsized for 3 years straight. It is a similar bamboo to parvifolia, but just doesn't seem to have as much vigor, or cold hardiness so it doesn't look like it has any chances of regaining the title of the largest bamboo in my grove.

P Nigra looks like it will need a warm winter to get any bigger than it is now which is not bad. I think the tallest culm is somewhere close to 11ft. It's shoots this year are pretty much an identical size to the ones that came up last year.
bambambooboo

Post by bambambooboo »

Bambusa vulgaris
last years vulgaris for scale

Bambusa malingensis aka Maling aka Seabreeze

Bambusa pervariabilis 'Viridistriata' aka Sunburst

Gigantochloa atroviolacea aka Tropical Black

Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' aka Asian Lemon

Dendrocalamus asper 'Betung Hitam' - Black Asper

Bambusa emeiensis 'Flavidovirens'
"Without bamboo, the land dies." ~~saying
bambambooboo

Post by bambambooboo »

Bambusa membranacea striatus

Bambusa chungii aka Tropical Blue

Dendrocalamus minor 'Amoenus' aka Angel Mist
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

stevelau1911 wrote: ...
It's pretty awesome how parvifolia leafs back out all the way, but the drawback is hardly any energy allocated to shoot production. At least there's no loss even with one extremely cold night at -12F. How cold does it have to get to cause top kill on parvifolia? ...
Actually, I think you were on the edge there. All my bamboos (including parvifolia) were top killed, possibly on that same night you mentioned. My climate being only slightly colder than yours. However, other factors may be that I didn't heavily mulch my bamboos. And there was zero snow cover this past winter.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I bet that may have ended up giving you more shoots than I got. I think only around a dozen shoots came up, the best, no bigger than 1.5 inches reaching a bit over 20ft, just about the same size as the biggest ones from last year, but there are quite a few scrappy small shoots coming up along the edge.

It doesn't look like a bamboo likes to make many shoots when it likes to completely defoliate, then refoliate all the way back, but at least there's no size loss, perhaps a bit of increase in foliar mass this year.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

bambambooboo - great shoots and species collection there, I'm assuming by the species & pines that you are in central or south FL?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambambooboo

Post by bambambooboo »

needmore wrote:bambambooboo - great shoots and species collection there, I'm assuming by the species & pines that you are in central or south FL?
Thank you. & yes, was south now central-ish. Filled U-Haul with boos from southern garden. Most survived fairly well. I did lose sacred Bali (Schizostachyum brachycladum Yellow Form) which I didn't think would necessarily thrive but thought might survive with just top kill and new pretty growth each season if only I could get it established. But then in the first few years we had very odd, bad freezes. I kept it alive for about three or four years before it gave up the, um, boo ghost.

I've kept teddy bear (Dendrocalamus brandisii) surviving but not thriving, hopefully will finally get some sized up culms this season after years in the ground already, though I did divide & re-relocate it about two years back. The Betung is doing very well after a rough start. I've planted that on the far side in case of top kill after maturity so felling a culm won't hit a house. Everything else has done pretty well, having relocated from 10plus to 9ish (supposedly 9b but I mostly plant for 9a as I think I'm in a cold spot.)

As to the pine, they're long leaf, very similar to the scrub pines of the previous garden. Same look just longer needles and bigger cones.
trepanier

Post by trepanier »

Trepanier
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Dendrocalamus sp. 'Parker's Giant' thus far does seem to want to size up quickly.
parkclo.JPG
park2.JPG
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com