Uses for Bamboo Farm Near Atlanta GA

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

GA Bamboo
Location info: 0

Uses for Bamboo Farm Near Atlanta GA

Post by GA Bamboo »

About 7 years ago I purchased 15 acres and half the property is bamboo planted by the previous owners. I am interested in hearing from other bamboo growers with large groves to find out if my farm has any use. There appear to be two types of bamboo on the property. One is a larger timber bamboo (possible a heron). The other is smaller. I believe the forest is 15-20 years old. My questions are - what does the typical bamboo grower do with his bamboo? It looks like most growers are on the retail end selling live plants for gardens or selling the poles to small markets for crafts and fencing. Does anyone harvest to sell product wholesale to industry such as flooring, fuel, fibers etc. Do those industries exist in the united states for local bamboo farmers. Does anyone sell shoots? If so how many total lbs do you sell per spring? If you are a wholesale grower, what is your minimum order and what sort of volume are you producing per year? I know there is supply but is there currently demand for this sustainable product? or is it all just big dreams? I have seen many books and websites devoted to growing bamboo and been to many websites of large bamboo farms but it looks like they all operate as nurseries. I have a LOT of bamboo. Is there such a thing as a bamboo broker? are there any industries in the united states currently using bamboo as a raw product for manufacturing? If anyone experienced is interested in operating a bamboo farm in Georgia, talk to me.