Teague's blue has stopped shooting

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Donbro
Location info: 0

Teague's blue has stopped shooting

Post by Donbro »

I have an otherwise healthy teague's blue that has not put out any new shoots this past season. The 15 gal plant was put in the ground about three years ago. We got a few smallish shoots the following year, and quite a few larger (~12') shoots the next year. Late in the shooting season last year the plant put out multiple large vigorous shoots at the same time. About half of these culms aborted their tips at 2 to 5 feet high for no apparent reason. The lower part of these culms continued to survive.
The plant is in partial shade to almost full shade at its base. It has been fertilized regularly, and is on a drip irrigation system which keeps the soil continuously moist. When the culms aborted last year we moved the drip lines farther from the plants base, thinking it might be getting too much water.
This summer/fall the blue has not produced a single shoot. Has anyone heard of this? Any info or suggestions would be great.
Thanks!
Don
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Re: Teague's blue has stopped shooting

Post by fredgpops »

I have two sections of Teagues. It does not like much direct sun and I think it may prefer more than drip. If it is showing more honey color than blue, you have a direct sun problem. Rgds
Donbro

Re: Teague's blue has stopped shooting

Post by Donbro »

No... it's nice and blue... no honey color. I'm certain its getting adequate water too. In fact I was concerned it may be getting to much moisture, and that that could be the cause of the pause in shooting. You've never experienced or heard of a clumping bamboo taking a year off from shooting?
Thanks for the reply!