How much sun for P. Nigra

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Gerryo619
Location info: 0

Re: How much sun for P. Nigra

Post by Gerryo619 »

Thank you for sharing so much knowledge! MUCH appreciated! =)
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Shmu - good info. Of the nigra's, seems like the hale has less complications, at least in my experience. Also, my experience once nigra matures very tough to control. The rhizomes are as hard as steel and prone to go over or under barriers, primarily chasing water or fertilizer. I have not seen rhizomes goes as deep as nigra - 2 1/2 to 3 ft. I have witnessed some horror stories, some of my own doing ,gave some plants away to friends (or shd I say X-friends). Had a rhizome poke up in my lawn 12 ft from the mother a couple of years ago. I have 125 species and only my madake scares me more re aggressiveness. Rgds
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

Yes, some nigras go deep with rhizomes, especially the black type form. Temple boos do the same. Black is one of the most common of my collection of running boo species to rhizome root through the holes in the bottom of pots. And they go stealth nuts with underground rhizome plumes. My brother yanked a large black in his front yard, and 2 years later it is still throwing up shoots. He has thick dense clay soil, and it was impossible to get all the rhizomes out of the ground. I turn the horror stories into money myself. I dug up a dozen black shoots with rhizome from my brother's yard and potted them up to sell in 2 years. I sold out of all my nigra black, Bory, Henon and Daiko. this year. The economy is doing well here again, and I have had my best year selling nursery stock in many years. The only timber boos that I have in the ground here are std. black, Bory, Henon and Megurochiku. All nigras, which was not planned or intended. I may swap out the Megurochiku with my best Robert Young now that it is sizing up. Meguro is not producing any black stripes, and just grows like Henon. *yawn* The rest of the boos that I have in the ground here are intermediate and smaller runners and clumpers.

I have 3 nigra type form blacks in my back yard here and they have been in the ground for 4 years now. No distant shoots, only close in shoots. 25 foot culms in summer shade and winter full sun under some huge cherry trees. They do well in that setting. I am wondering where they are running to. I will have to do some exploratory digging in the spring to find out. My large Bory in the ground in front ran some runners 20 feet last year. I had to cut them way back this fall. Henon did the same. The Golden/aurea row runs a lot as well, as does the nuda row. I have been digging and transplanting them to the front roadside of my property to create new rows of bamboos, as I am losing my large lodgepole pines on the road to beetles. I think boos are better suited to climate change than a lot of other types of plants, like pines.
Happy trails...
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

out here in the dry summer foothills of the Sierra Nevada they only seem to run where theres a water source.
no water no bamboo
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country