Bamboo Farming - Seeking experts / training / workshops

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

rflusser
Location info: 0

Bamboo Farming - Seeking experts / training / workshops

Post by rflusser »

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a while and I am so glad it exists! Thank you for all the great information you guys put up!

I am a Sustainable Development student at the Earth Institute at Columbia University in New York. I have been extensively researching bamboo as I see it as the answer to many environmental challenges. Specifically, I've been researching the feasibility of bamboo as a biofuel feedstock and energy crop and what I've found seems to make a lot of sense financially and environmentally.

I am working on a series of grant applications as we speak to fund my travel and research of bamboo, and I wanted to see if anybody has any advice or suggestions about organizations, experts, farmers, etc. who might be helpful to my research. While I have done much in the ways of academic and feasibility research, I am looking for hands-on experience in the form of training, a farmstay, courses or workshops concerning the cultivation of bamboo or possibly sustainable agriculture/forestry management in Asia (which might overlap with bamboo). Dependent on my grant funding, I am planning to go to India, Thailand and Japan based on some academics who have offered to collaborate, so any programs in those countries or in the USA (or near), would be great options.

I am a lifelong city-dweller but I have always prided myself on my proclivity for manual labor, so I really want to bridge the gap between my academic research and real-world experience. If you have any advice on where to look for these kinds of experiences, it's much appreciated!!
mshaffer

Re: Bamboo Farming - Seeking experts / training / workshops

Post by mshaffer »

It's been a while since I bought bamboo but I think there are sellers in eBay located in China. Maybe one of them might have some insight to schools, programs over there. Just an idea, trying to help.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Bamboo Farming - Seeking experts / training / workshops

Post by needmore »

I'd suggest contacting Adam & Sue Turtle in TN, they have a wholesale nursery - Our Bamboo Nursery I think, but they also have a school - Earth Advocates Research I think. Adam is quite knowledgeable about all aspects and can at least steer you to more info if not provide it himself. His health has been off but hopefully he is still around and able to be reached, they are in Summertown TN.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com