Leaves are starting to get yellow!

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Ren_Kagome
Location info: 0

Leaves are starting to get yellow!

Post by Ren_Kagome »

Hello people. So, I have 2 young bamboo plants that I started from a seed. both are one month old. If I'm correct, this should be yellow groove bamboo. they grew in a mini greenhouse before but then they got a bit too big for that so I transplanted them to separate flower pots about 2 weeks ago. And now the leaves are starting to get kinda yellow and that makes me worry ALOT since I just love bamboo so much! I do not want them to die (even though I have about 23 more plants just like these 2, but a bit smaller) what should I do?

Any help would be appriciated.
Tarzanus

Re: Leaves are starting to get yellow!

Post by Tarzanus »

I doubt they are yellow groove, I don't think it's flowering at the moment.
Post some pictures, we can only guess what is wrong. I have gathered some experiences with my Moso. Wrote about it here. Do not panic, don't overwater, don't overfeed.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Likely your arcana 'Luteosulcata' confused with yellow groove.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

I don't think you should worry, I'd say 8% weak seedlings from a Phyllostachys that has not cross-pollinated with another Phyllo of the same species is a very good success rate.

How has the winter been there in Estonia?

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
dependable

Post by dependable »

Tarzanus's advice not to over feed or over water indoor bamboos is good. But if you recently transplanted into a sterile medium, some fertilization is in order, as the yellowing could be nitrogen deficiency. A very mild dose of water soluble every now and then should take care of it if that is the problem.
Ren_Kagome

Post by Ren_Kagome »

johnw wrote:I don't think you should worry, I'd say 8% weak seedlings from a Phyllostachys that has not cross-pollinated with another Phyllo of the same species is a very good success rate.

How has the winter been there in Estonia?

john

I thought they were lacking of humidity, so I made them plastic covers to keep it moist. The winter here is quite cold at the moment. Temperature stays -6 to -15. But the sky isn't cloudy so at least it looks quite beatiful.

Ohh and here are few pictures of what I have right now: http://bamboogrower.deviantart.com/art/ ... 1486618664
I know there are also few of my older pictures of "fake bamboo" so yeah, just letting you guys now thast I got rid of them already