Scaffold for tarp/snow/ice load support

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

mshaffer
Location info: 0

Scaffold for tarp/snow/ice load support

Post by mshaffer »

I've been trying to think of a way to make sure my bamboo can survive if we get any days of 0 degree temperatures. Last year I bent the bamboo over and covered it with a huge tarp. It's too big to do that this year. So the only thing I could think of is to build a tower in the center of the grove which I can pull everything in to, then cover with a tarp. It's about 28 feet high right now, I haven't finished putting all the 2x4's on it since I decided to paint them.
Last edited by mshaffer on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
dependable

Re: Scaffold for tarp/snow/ice load support

Post by dependable »

Looks like you could turn that into a nice tree house, ...fort, or tea house.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

Yea it's kind of cool being up in the canopy of the bamboo. I guess I'll hold off on building any more. Maybe it'll be a mild winter and I won't need it.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

I've since added on a lot to the structure. It looks a bit like a wooden rollercoaster. Fortunately once the tarp is on it's not very tacky. It was a lot of trouble but now I don't have to worry about losing my bamboo.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I believe that you are far down south enough to not have to worry about getting temperatures anywhere close to 0F this year. There's simply not that much arctic air if you look at the maps and we would need some extreme temperature swings with all the right conditions in the next couple of months to likely threaten the moso in VA. It doesn't hurt to guarantee no leaf burn though.

I hope this nice weather can hold up through March, or at least have cold spells that don't last long enough to keep the snow around.
cole

Post by cole »

Looks like you're doling out justice for some cattle rustlers. My Stalinist HOA would send me a dozen tickets.

Warm thoughts!
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Impressive, and a bit crazy. :)

Where are you located? I don't see location in your profile...
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I have gone to extremes in bamboo protection, but haven't done anything beyond using a 6ft ladder with large tarps which can take several hours for a dozen in ground bamboos. The greenhouse still sits over the bicolor, but this is taking it to the next level.

Eventually the structure will need to get to 70ft as moso keeps upsizing, but I like your idea. It just looks like a lot of work though. It does seem like if the base of the grove is watered through the winter, and a heater is turned on, solely for potential subzero nights, a strong kerosene heater, or burn barrel should generate enough heat given that there is a mechanism to direct the heat upwards raising temperatures all the way up.

I believe plastic tarping around the grove up to around 20ft will be enough to do the job as the air coming out should make enough of a difference. It is only still feasible because your groves do not take up a huge amount of space.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

stevelau1911 wrote:...given that there is a mechanism to direct the heat upwards...
Doesn't that happen automatically? :D
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

Well, I fell off the structure on Saturday night and broke my knee. Found out today I don't have to have surgery, just wear a brace for 2 weeks then fully healed in 12 weeks. Really stupid since I knew a wood screw wouldn't hold my weight.. Guess my luck ran out.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

stevelau1911 wrote:I believe that you are far down south enough to not have to worry about getting temperatures anywhere close to 0F this year. There's simply not that much arctic air if you look at the maps and we would need some extreme temperature swings with all the right conditions in the next couple of months to likely threaten the moso in VA. It doesn't hurt to guarantee no leaf burn though.

I hope this nice weather can hold up through March, or at least have cold spells that don't last long enough to keep the snow around.
That's good.. I hope it makes it through the winter unscathed, it's really starting to size up now.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

Alan_L wrote:Impressive, and a bit crazy. :)

Where are you located? I don't see location in your profile...
I'm in Fairfax, VA, 20 miles West of Washington DC.
cole

Post by cole »

mshaffer wrote:Guess my luck ran out.
Yikes, that's just awful - sorry to hear. Heal fast!
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

When winter protection is no longer feasible, protecting the base of the rhizome/root mass can at least keep the soil underneath from freezing as easily. The only way I can think of fully protecting the foliage of a bamboo at this size or larger is by getting 2 flag poles, attaching a strong tarp to both of them, and then laying it over the windy side, then pounding those poles into the ground, and securing both poles together as much as possible.

Even though we haven't had much cold yet this winter, it is supposed to get to more average temperatures starting tomorrow, and that could last 1-2 months.

This should be more than enough to at least preserve the root mass, no matter how cold winter gets. January doesn't look like a threat anymore, but we don't know what February will bring.

mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

Cool, I never thought of putting the old culms underneath and burying them in leaves. I have a lot of old culms I could use.

I looked back at the Dulles temperature data since 1983 and counted the days of single digit temperatures. I figured out how many single digit days each week of January, February and March have. As you can see the chance of single digit days peaks in the fourth week of January.
Attachments
temps.jpg