Scaffold for tarp/snow/ice load support

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

mshaffer
Location info: 0

Re: Scaffold for tarp/snow/ice load support

Post by mshaffer »

stevelau1911 wrote: I believe plastic tarping around the grove up to around 20ft will be enough to do the job as the air coming out should make enough of a difference. It is only still feasible because your groves do not take up a huge amount of space.
Ok, that's about the level I had the tarp.
Last edited by mshaffer on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Knop
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Peter Knop »

Fairfax! We are in Chantilly and have survived with no protection for past seven years with moso (just certain clones though). our seedling 2009 produced 3.18 diameter culm this year, and tallest cut so far was 33'6" from 2013 (diameter 2.25"). 13 and 14 were vicious winters for us - hope the warm weather will be nice to us this year. We only cut culms which die or are very small and brushy. We do harvest shoots though when they get too close together (fed the pandas at the zoo this past year with them.)
Drop an email as we are putting together a newsletter (free) if you are interested.
Anyone interested in our newsletter (bamboo and botanic garden) is welcome to send their email as well.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

mshaffer wrote:Cool, I never thought of putting the old culms underneath and burying them in leaves. I have a lot of old culms I could use.

I looked back at the Dulles temperature data since 1983 and counted the days of single digit temperatures. I figured out how many single digit days each week of January, February and March have. As you can see the chance of single digit days peaks in the fourth week of January.
One of the things that may skew the data is that there are year's like the past 2 where there are single digit nights every other night during the coldest times while many of the winters don't see that many.

Even in upstate NY we haven't had a single digit night yet this winter, and if the overall above average temperatures continue through January, there shouldn't be much ice forming on the Great Lakes this winter which means that the lake effect snow buffer should block the abnormal extremes that we've seen as of recent. You also have the Appalachian mountains which acts as a second line of defense that works very well when the first half of winter is mild.

I really doubt that the soil will freeze up in Northern VA this winter especially with the lack of precipitation in general. I've seen quite a few moso groves in China with culms clearly over 5 inches in diameter which were not pampered at all, so it's reasonable for yours to break the 4 inch mark easily.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

after seeing what you all go through to protect your Bamboo i don't feel so bad about my few containerized tender ones :shock:
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country