Divisions

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Greenfingeredste
Location info: 0

Divisions

Post by Greenfingeredste »

After some more advice guys. I have a F.Wolong boo in my front garden. that is in need of some serious tlc. It is roughly about 1 metre across at ground level. How and what time of year should I consider digging it up and dividing?. Sorry for all the questions but I'm kind of new to bamboo having only recently(last few years) started taking a interest in Boo's. Any advice would be welcome
dependable

Re: Divisions

Post by dependable »

Now or early fall is a good time to divide. Plants can get going before winter, and past shooting season.
Greenfingeredste

Excellent thank you...I will crack on with it over the weekend....How many divisions roughly will I get?.....I know it is 1 metre at ground level I was thinking maybe split into 4 and then each quarter in half making a total of 8 viables from 1 plant?....or is that asking to much of the plant?
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

It will depend on what you see underground. Each division should have a number of noticeable buds ready to break forth in Spring, if there are none then that section will eventually die. Hopefully it's not too early for those to be visible. Maybe dependable can tell you when those are noticeable. Whenever you do it don't do it later a month before normal shooting time.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Greenfingeredste

Just got my mrs to have a look and ring me back....It is shooting at moment......does that mean I leave it or is a good time to do it now?
dependable

Post by dependable »

If you want the new shoots to live, you should probably wait until they are at full height, at least.
Greenfingeredste

I guess I will wait till the shoots reach full height. Thanks