Giant Timber not looking too healthy

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Gerryo619
Location info: 0

Re: Giant Timber not looking too healthy

Post by Gerryo619 »

I just don't know if I should leave it where it is. I don't have a problem giving it another year to develop a good root system, but even if it does, wouldn't the spot it's currently in keep it from looking what I want it to look like? Or will it eventually get strong enough to thrive there? My intention was to build a privacy screen along that fence by planting additional giant timbers in a row. This first one was a test. Now I am having doubts that will even work there. I will try to take some photos of my other giant timber so you can see the difference between the two, like night and day.....
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I'd dig it out and pot it. If you want bamboo there get another one that is vigorous and put it there. Yours may recover in time but why let it have valuable real estate where you could have something that is healthy & awesome?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

So what would thrive there? Would any type of bamboo work?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I'd suggest contacting the nearest bamboo nursery and asking them for recommendations in you climate/site conditions, I don't think you made a bad choice though but sometimes plants flunk out.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I think you don't get a lot of rain around there. I've read Phyllostachys decora can be quite happy even in hot and dry areas, such as Texas or southern California.

Bambusa clumpers on the other hand can usually take a lot of sun and survive drought better than most if not all Phyllostachys. Some even form swollen internodes when they lack water, like budha's belly.

Your bamboos perhaps just need a bit more time to adjust. Hope for the best. Good luck. :)
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

Here is a pic of the other
Attachments
other
other
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

As you can see, MUCH healthier looking and obviously in shade...
Attachments
IMG_5986.JPG
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

So I'm going to continue on this post since it's easy to search. So new question, fast forward since last post the giant timber that's in the shade is doing quite well. Nice thick new shoots this season and have already grow twice the height on the rest of the plant. The other day I notice the tallest on broke at the tip about 18 inches, and I can't figure out why. It's def not the end of the world but I'm just hoping there's is nothing wrong with the the plant itself that could've caused that's and hoping the others doing to the same thing. Any thought?
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

pics. SOrry still cant get then to show correctly
Attachments
IMG_6372.JPG
IMG_6369.JPG
IMG_6371.JPG
T9D

Post by T9D »

Doubt anything is wrong with it. They are very very tender until the harden up. Strong wind, or maybe a bird landed on it and broke it. It'll be fine.
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

I kind of figured that. Had to be a dang crow. Gangs of them hang out on the adjacent fig tree, pisses me off!
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Gerry what did you do with your problem Oldhammi? I missed your earlier posts. Your Boo acted like Oldahmmis so in full sun and low moisture retention planting site. If you want to try again at that site dig up the soil at least three times the pot and enhance the soil with organic material(manure would work). Cover it with mulch 6 inches deep past the amended soil. This should keep the soil moist with regular watering in the dry season.
In three years the Boo should be fully flushed with leaves that will provide its own shade and it will really take off.
Oh if you do try plant it farther back from that fence at least six feet as Oldhammis can do ten to twelve foot, foot prints.
Your happy one is ok they do get broken culms often till the clump gets thick enough to self protect its self.
MarCat
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

Thanks for reply!

I ended up leaving the problem one as is. I have just added a good layer of "growmulch" by Kellog's" and been watering it regularly. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse and actually seems a little better albeit slightly. I also figured I would just leave it where it is and eventually it would establish itself more and thrive. I really do want it where it is, and would really like additional bamboos (maybe a Lako) in order to build a screen along that same fence, this one was the test. I do plan on propagating the larger one sometime this winter as a couple of the shoots grew very close to the fence, so maybe I will plant the division next to the problem one, we'll see.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

when you do amend the soil with organic stuff and apply a thick layer of mulch. Clumpers will eventually mulch them selves. Divided a Multiplex once that the leaf litter was two foot thick. Very happy plant.
MarCat
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

just an update on the bamboo that started the topic. Continuing to do better. Appears to be creating it's own shade as mentioned. I have also continued regular watering (2-3/week).
Attachments
side bamboo.JPG