Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Control methods from ABS conference

Post by bambooweb »

James Clever and Ian Conner presented "Caring for your bamboo" at the 2005 ABS conference in Houston. Part of the presentation was about how to control spreading bamboo

With 30 inch tall 60 mil thick barrier they suggest packing clay soil at bottom of the trench when filling it in then use mulch to fill in the top foot next to the barrier. Then three times a year use a sawzall and a pry bar to remove any rhizomes within 6 inches of the barrier.

Another method they used is to dig a foot deep and wide trench around the bamboo and fill it with mulch or sand then cut and pull the rhizomes out of it in June, August, and November.

The third method they described combined both methods and used barrier on the back and sides of a grove and a trench on the front side. They also showed photos of barriers that were breached because the corners of the barrier were to sharp and the rhizomes built up in the corner until they broke through.

Bill
BooKing
Location info: 0

Post by BooKing »

Great ideas and information as I am building another new home for some bamboos I hope to get next spring.I got my 60mil barrier and stainless steel clamps and am ready to go...as soon as the weather turns nice again. :lol:
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

A 4th Method

Post by Thuja »

I think a 4th method might be as Kudzu (also Brad) has described in the past as a mounding or raised bed method. He said he plants on mounds a foot or so high and this makes it easier to spot any rhizomes that try to escape. I have been using this method so far and it has been fine. Of course I'm in Wisconsin so that might not be saying much.

I may try the trench method too. Thanks for the tips.
--Mike
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

good info

Post by kstanwick »

I've used 3/4 washed gravel in an area i don't want my arrow rhizomes to spread. I don't know how it will do but the idea is that rhizomenes will go to the best growing conditions. an experiment for me. Only time will tell. next spring i will have some idea if its working for me or not.

_________retaining wall_________________________|
................................................................. ///////////////.....|
..........Arrow plants................................. ////////////////.....| <---property line
..................in trench......................................gravel..........|
_______________________________/////////////////.....|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|
this area is shale and gravel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|
for a aux drive/car spot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,|
Gravel in trench is about 4 to 5 ft long 2 ft deep
You all have seen the pics of where i planted it.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden