Cold damage winter 2013/2014

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Cold damage winter 2013/2014

Post by johnw »

My apologies moriphen, I did have that data but had your column hidden by mistake.

johnw
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
johnw

Post by johnw »

F. sp. 'Scabrida' - 5-10% leaf damage. Releafing to within an inch of the tips, may releaf to the very tip. Lowest temp was 0F for at least 10 hours and may nights to 12F and 5F, snow cover was good. Wind was constant the entire winter.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Most of my Phyllostachys are leafing out again.

More here:
http://www.itsnotworkitsgardening.com/2 ... green.html

Back in early April:
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Saw these pictures on your blog, that is great for you! At essentially the same temperature here everything is dead, I cut down some rubro at 2" diameter and atrovaginata I did not measure yet but must be 2.75". Nice poles anyway but I'd rather have leaves. I suspect the single most contributing factor to yours alive & mine dead is how thin I kept my plots compared to yours must really really expose them more to the wind in an adverse way. Stunning difference to me when seeing your photos! I prefer the look of open walkthrough groves but will make adjustments going forward!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I've seen a couple of leaves come out on the atrovaginata, but the one that came through the best is the parvifolia. The aurea, edulis and Henon so far have shown no life.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Here's a view of the cold spell based on a nearby weather station that tracks pretty closely with my yard (image attached). Cold duration and windspeed are shown -- I'd be interested to see how this compares to data from your area Dan.
Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 8.52.07 AM.jpg
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Also Brad, even most of the exposed branch tips at the tops of the culms are leafing out (not all of them) as are the outermost culms, so self-protection can't be the factor here I'd think.
terrabamboo

Post by terrabamboo »

If any atrovaginata whip shoots come up think of me and dig those bad boys up and send em' my way :)
Terra Bamboo
300 acre Bamboo Plantation Project
Focusing on Henon, Moso, Robert Young, Rubro, Vivax and Fargesia
needmore

Post by needmore »

Alan, it may have been wind, as I recall we were much windier than that chart as it read it but my memory may not be correct.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:Here's a view of the cold spell based on a nearby weather station that tracks pretty closely with my yard (image attached). Cold duration and windspeed are shown -- I'd be interested to see how this compares to data from your area Dan.
Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 8.52.07 AM.jpg
I can get the raw data easily enough, though I would have to extract and plot it. Here are a couple of rough figures for comparison.

Day High Low Max Wind
21 34.1°F 5.3°F 27.0
22 18.9°F 1.0°F 21.7
23 12.0°F -1.8°F 17.1
24 22.4°F -4.4°F 25.4
25 36.5°F 12.9°F 32.9
26 46.2°F 12.8°F 32.4
27 43.1°F 0.0°F 32.4
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Here's the same style graph from a weather station in Bloomington IN, but for the whole month not just the one week. As your data showed and this confirms (maybe the same data source?) you didn't get as cold as I did on that week, but it seems to have been windier. You got colder earlier in the month though:
Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 1.31.36 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 1.31.36 PM.jpg (94.03 KiB) Viewed 5608 times
Did you still have drought last summer, or was it closer to normal rainfall for you? We were very dry here, so if the wind wasn't the difference, perhaps the drought made my plants more cold-hardy?
johnw

Post by johnw »

Here are the folks that kindly reported in on how their bamboos fared this passed winter. The data is crudely entered into an Excel spreadsheet. Now the question is how to get this sheet to everyone below as PM'ing won't take attachments. I can send it out individually if you pm me your email address OR I can post it in this thread and each can make any additions or changes and email it back to me. Where data is missing I can highlight the background of that box. Please let me know your preferences. If you are not proficient in Excel I can simply send you a few questions. Alan_L I guess you have the best news additions to make and Schmu can you send in some info even though your cold was of a different nature than ours in the east; JWH? I have yet to inspect the bamboos in the south of NS so I may be the last to finish off.

THIS IS NOT THE FINAL REPORT WHICH WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO GET THE INFO INTERPRETED AND INTO A PROPER FORMAT - THAT WILL BE POSTED WHEN FINISHED

I have the email addresses of those marked *
dependable, Martha's Vineyard, MA*
STEVE LAU, ROCHESTER, NY*
BRAD SALMON, INDIANA*
jd*
moriphen, 7b
yard e in Michigan
Leo S.
Alan_L
johnw
Matt in Tennesse, Baxter, TN
SammyJ, North Okanagan, BC