Sinobambusa tootsik 'Albostriata' hardiness

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bamboothew
Location info: 0

Sinobambusa tootsik 'Albostriata' hardiness

Post by bamboothew »

Does anyone have any experience with this plant's hardiness, as far as at what temperature it starts to show leaf-burn? Around what temperature does it top-kill? Does it come back strong from a top-kill? Any other pertinent information concerning this plant's culture? Thanks for any info you could provide!
God Bless,

Matthew

===============================

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
Samajax

Re: Sinobambusa tootsik 'Albostriata' hardiness

Post by Samajax »

Matt. I had one outside in a pot all winter this year, but this was a warm one. Maybe mid-twenties as a low? No damage.

Internet says close to 10 degrees, so leaf damage in the high teens? That would just be a guess.

A friend has one in the ground over near Houston and has never had damage, but he's zone 9. It is a beauty.
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Thanks for the info, Samajax. Unfortunately, the vendor who was going to bring one to sell to me at the bamboo festival forgot to bring it :o. It would likely look ratty some winters here, but boy is it a beauty! I did get a nice division of Chinese Walking Stick to kill, though :lol: I had a tiny one that perished, but it's worth trying again!
God Bless,

Matthew

Genesis 2:8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there He put the man whom He had formed.
Markj

Post by Markj »

It's not hardy enough for here, the leaves fry around -4~-6 the branches soon after, the culms hold on a little longer but develop black/brown blotches that spoil the look. Vigorous at the root though so has always come back strongly even after repeated cut backs and our poor summers. Ends up about 6 foot tall by summers end and looking good :D
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
jeremy88

Post by jeremy88 »

Hey Matt,

I'm 7b also, and I have 2 S. t. Albo's in the ground. They are both now just a few leaves at ground level, so don't waste your time ... enjoy a 'Shiroshima' instead! Chinese Walking Stick has been tough as well, but I refuse to give up on it ... I potted up my remaining plant over a year ago, and I'm trying it back in the ground next spring after another winter of protection ... fingers crossed! Both of these plants are beautiful 2 hours south of me ... oh well ... this is just the way it goes ... zone envy is something we all deal with.

-jeremy
bamboothew

Post by bamboothew »

Yeah, I'm thinking it may be a lucky thing that I haven't found it! I still may eventually get one to grow potted and bring it inside for the coldest part of winter.

The tumidissinoda has such unique foliage and culms that I think it would be worth growing as a top-kill boo if it will only get a few feet tall. Btw my zone is 7b but most winters our lows are in the teens and for only one or two nights, I am close to a nuclear power station's cooling pond here so I have a zone edge over folks just a few miles east of here. We'll see what happens!
God Bless,

Matthew

ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

My toots' both died completely at 10f.... One was potted, one in the ground. The ground plant was a 5gal, but that was it's first winter in the ground, and it was one of the hardest we have had in decades. I'm going to try that one again... Tallgrass picked one up for me, I just have to get it :grin: