Third season Shanghai 3 and Parvifolia

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Third season Shanghai 3 and Parvifolia

Post by stevelau1911 »

This looks like a reversion to a more juvenile form which would make sense since the original culm came off a bud from a rhizome division.

The plant has more root mass and energy established allowing the leaves to get much larger. The new culm also developed in a time of comparably cooler temperatures and lower light than that of the original culm so it's reasonable for the leaves to look a lot softer.

When it shoots again, the leaves should stay looking very juvenile and big. Based on the timing of the new shoot, this will likely shoot pretty late in the spring.
T9D
Location info: 0

Re: Third season Shanghai 3 and Parvifolia

Post by T9D »

Will be interesting to see what it does next. I don't think it will shoot that late though. It's already 65 degrees here and lots of sun. I think it's building up enough root mass and nutrients to shoot soon. When I uppotted it I was really surprised at how much root mass all my new bamboo had grown (except vivax inversa barely did anything for some reason). There is also a shoot left over from last fall sticking out about an inch too. I think it will just start growing that first and then keep shooting more. Prominens has the same thing, about a 3 inch shoot from last fall and it's already started to just barely grow again. It's going to be in the high 60's and 70's mostly from here on out.

Moso is already shooting about an hour and a half away from me at Bamboo Gardens. It's been a crazy warm season here.