When do they shoot?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

jpluddite
Location info: 0

When do they shoot?

Post by jpluddite »

Howdy folks.

Is there a chart or table somewhere on this site that shows when some of the more common bamboo varieties shoot?

Maybe something like:

April: variety 1, variety 2

May: variety 3, variety 4

June: variety 5,

Thanks,

jp
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: When do they shoot?

Post by foxd »

Shooting time is going to vary from year to year, the best you can get is variety A tends to shoot before variety B.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

I can tell you that up in zone 4/5 NW Ontario, Fargesia Rufa shoots in may. THe real mild year (2010), it started to shoot first week (ish), and the year after (concidered slighty above "average winter"), it started to shoow mid may. This year I have no clue, cause we just got a foot of snow lol.

Ive asked this question before. I know that there are general times (early, mid, late) shooters, but other then that, the specific dates would depend on climate, the winter that past, soil fertility, available water.... There are a few reasons why the certain bamboo (and even plants in general) has variable times to shoot. THe need the proper conditions, which of course dont happen consitantly every year (of course, that would help all of us gardeners :D )
tncry

Post by tncry »

Search "Boo Shoots for 2011" and read trough the old thread to find dates when different bamboo were shooting last year.
TC
foxd

Post by foxd »

Here is a list of the order of shoots that occured here for 2010. Since shooting seems to be controlled by soil temperature others may get a slightly different order.

Fargesia dracocephala 'rufa'
Pleioblastus viridistriatus 'Chrysophyllus'
Sasa veitchii
Pleioblastus shibuyanus 'Tsuboi'
Pleioblastus viridistriatus
Pleioblastus pygmaeus
Sasaella bitchuensis
Sasaella masamuneana 'Albostriata'
Pleioblastus kongosanensis 'Aureostriatus'
Pleioblastus fortunei
Sasa tsuboiana
Phyllostachys aureosulcata
Pleioblastus chino 'Murakamianus'
Phyllostachys edulis
Phyllostachys heteroclada
Pseudosasa japonica 'Tsutsumiana'
Pseudosasa japonica "Japanese Arrow Bamboo"
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis'
Indocalamus tessellatus
Semiarundinaria yashadake 'Kimmei'
Phyllostachys aurea 'Koi'
Phyllostachys nigra
Phyllostachys aurea
Phyllostachys aurea 'Holochrysa'
Semiarundinaria okuboi
Phyllostachys nigra
Indocalamus longiauritus
Brachystachyum densiflorum
Phyllostachys mannii 'Decora'
Phyllostachys atrovaginata
Phyllostachys viridis 'Robert Young'
Pseudosasa viridula
Arundinaria gigantea
Fargesia nitida
Hibanobambusa tranquillans 'Shiroshima'
Bambusa ventricosa "Buddha's Belly"
Shibataea kumasaca
Arundinaria gigantea "Paperweight"
Phyllostachys hispida
Sasaella masamuneana 'Aureostriata'

BTW, I used 2010 instead of 2011 because several didn't put up shoots in 2011 due to the drought the previous year.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
moriphen
Location: Southern New Jersey 7b about 5 mins from Philadelphia, PA

Post by moriphen »

JP you live about an hour and thirty minutes from me. This was my 2011 shooting table.

Fargesia apicirubens 'White Dragon' February 17th 2011
Fargesia dracocephala 'Rufa' February 18-20th
Fargesia sp. 'Scabrida' March 15 201
Fargesia sp. Jiuzhaigou 01 March 19th
Thamnocalamus tessellatus March 22nd
Pleioblastus kongosanensis 'Aureostriata' March 22nd
Pleioblastus viridistriatus 'Chrysophyllus' March 27th
Fargesia robusta 'Campbell' March 30th
Fargesia sp. Jiuzhaigou 04 April 2nd
Pleioblastus chino 'Murakamiansus' April 2nd
Pleioblastus distichus 'Mini' April 2nd
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis' April 2nd
Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Alata' April 2nd
Sasa haytae April 4th
Sasa oshidensis April 8th
Shibataea chinesis April 9th
Chusquea Andina April 12th
Hibanobambusa tranquillans 'Shiroshima'April 14th
Fargesia robusta 'Wolong' April 23-25th *New planting Spring 2011*
Chimonobambusa marmorea 'Variegata April 25th-27th
Fargesia Denudata May 17th *New plant for Spring 2011*
M
jpluddite

Post by jpluddite »

Wow!

Thanks for the responses.

jp
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

What criteria do you use when putting a date on these? When you first see a shoot tip poke through the ground/mulch? When you see more than one shoot? When it's a specific height (1")? I have trouble with some of my smaller species telling if I'm seeing a shoot or new leaf growth from an existing branch that's just below the mulch line. Plus some plants have thicker mulch than others.

Just wondering how other people decide when exactly a plant has started shooting.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:What criteria do you use when putting a date on these? When you first see a shoot tip poke through the ground/mulch? When you see more than one shoot? When it's a specific height (1")? I have trouble with some of my smaller species telling if I'm seeing a shoot or new leaf growth from an existing branch that's just below the mulch line. Plus some plants have thicker mulch than others.

Just wondering how other people decide when exactly a plant has started shooting.
When I see a shoot that does not look like it is a leaf from an existing branch. I figure if it has put up one shoot the others can't be far behind.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

moriphen

Post by moriphen »

Alan I typically break my bamboo down into leptomorph and pachymorh bamboo when it comes down to the critera for 1st shoot dates. On a leptomorph bamboo it is rather straight forward affair I look for any actively shooting rhizome and check to make sure there are other active shoots on the rhizome, if there are I post it has shooting. My reasoning is as follows, running bamboo have a much more flexible shooting schedule due to new rhizomes that are not shaded out by the old growth versus older rhizome that is shaded and needs wait for the soil to warm up. Due to this I can have shooting spread out over 2 weeks or more which can give someone very different dates for 1st shoot.

However with the pachymorph bamboo I generally wait till there are multiple shoots breaking the ground before I list it a shooting bamboo. Again my reasoning here is similar, there are no rhizomes that have escaped the old growth canopy and has such the shooting date may change but the shoots themselves all appear within 4 to 5 day time frame sometimes even closer. If the plant is particularly vigorous there may be a second and third shooting in the summer and fall which is far more sporadic and more of a opportunistic event then anything else
M
dependable

Post by dependable »

Hi Moriphen, Looking at you shooting times above, Was wondering if they are outdoors or in greenhouse? I am in zone 7a, and nothing much happens here until May.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

May? I'm in zone 6, and there are a few that get going end of March (Fargesia 'rufa', Ph. bissetii), then several in April (Ph. aureosulcata all forms).

I wonder if it has to do with latitude, angle of sun, and warming the ground? Or perhaps just the number of sunny days?
dependable

Post by dependable »

Probably related to the maritime climate here. It usually warms up slow, dank, even though the max and min temperatures are a bit buffered by the ocean. Sun angle & day length are a factor as well. If the gulf stream ever quits, would be as cold here as Detroit, and lot more wind.
moriphen

Post by moriphen »

dependable wrote:Hi Moriphen, Looking at you shooting times above, Was wondering if they are outdoors or in greenhouse? I am in zone 7a, and nothing much happens here until May.
Dependable, they are all in outdoor plantings with various sun and wind exposures. My zone is 7b according to the USDA with my local environment consisting of a urban heat island with a 1 mile wide river to my west and marshlands to my north and south. It warms up very quickly here and takes quite awhile to dissipate as you could imagine.
M