Moso Sun Requirements

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

iandad
Location info: 0

Moso Sun Requirements

Post by iandad »

I have some starts in pots that I finally have time to get planted. I know it is slow to get started, but is full sun my best bet?
Zone Challenged...
EBinNC
Location info: 50

Post by EBinNC »

Yes, I would keep it in full sun, just be careful that you don't dry it out too much since it is in a pot.
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Moso

Post by Mike McG »

iandad,

Moso does not do well here in Central TX. There may be many reasons including soil & water alkalinity, and heat. After having two die, I think the main problem here is lack of water in the leaves due to sun, wind, low humidity, and long periods without rain. Even the Moso that others have that survives here, is stunted. Watering it well on weekends and only occasionally during the week is just not enough. I have other Phyllostachys that I rarely water that survive even though the leaves curl during the day.

I realize that we probably get more days with low humidity and wind than you do you, but if I try Moso again I will plant it in more shade when it is small and let it run to the sun if it wants to. If you plan to keep it in pots, I would definitely keep them in shade except perhaps for some morning sun. Good luck whatever you decide.

Mike near Brenham TX
Mike,Marietta,SC,z8a
Location info: 0
zone 8a, 60 bamboo species in ground including mature size moso, Bambusa, Bashania, Borinda, Chusquea, Fargesia, Himalayacalamus, Phyllostachys, Pleioblastus, Pseudosasa, Qiongzhuea, Sasa, Sasaella, Semiarundinaria, Shibataea, Y

Post by Mike,Marietta,SC,z8a »

Around here (upstate SC), moso transplants do best in part sun, ideally in a location where the sun passes behind a tree from time to time, so the bamboo gets 2 hours of sun, followed by 1 or 2 hours of filtered shade, followed by 1 to 2 hours of sun, followed by shade and so on. Once established, then it can move out into full sun.