Depth for planting a new division

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bigone5500

Depth for planting a new division

Post by bigone5500 »

It's probably been told before, but when I dig a new division, would it be best to plant it a bit deeper than it originally was or just plant it with the root ball at ground level as it was before digging?
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Re: Depth for planting a new division

Post by David »

If the soil perks well I tend to plant a little deeper than the division was growing. I form a shallow dish around the new planting which conserves, and collects rain water, and increases its chance of survival during the tough first year.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

So a couple inches should suffice then huh?
Mackel in DFW
Location info: 0

Post by Mackel in DFW »

The way I look at it is, the shallower it's planted the better it drains. This may take tying four ropes to the division to keep it from blowing over. The deeper it's planted the less changes in temperature influence it. So I would say weahter and soil type/grade should partially answer how deep to plant bamboo. I have planted bamboo too deep and had to pull it out later because it was apparent there was not enough oxygen that deep.

Regards,
Mackel in DFW
Matt in TN
Location info: 82

Post by Matt in TN »

Mackel in DFW wrote: I have planted bamboo too deep and had to pull it out later because it was apparent there was not enough oxygen that deep.
What are the signs of not enough oxygen? I don't understand...
"The Way is in training" - Miyamoto Musashi
bigone5500

Post by bigone5500 »

Matt in TN wrote:
Mackel in DFW wrote: I have planted bamboo too deep and had to pull it out later because it was apparent there was not enough oxygen that deep.
What are the signs of not enough oxygen? I don't understand...
Yeah...what he said... :shock:
gaz rogers
Location info: 0
United Kingdom

Post by gaz rogers »

I'd plant it pretty much level with the ground with a thin covering of soil over the rootball and then add a good mulch around the plant extending past the rootball. This will help to conserve moisture and encourage it to grow new roots.
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

it all depends on your soil conditions- on my property, there are some areas that stay water logged due to the heavy clay soil. those areas I make a mound of dirt, and plant the boo in a mound. in the winter, it looks like boo growing on an island. other areas drain fairly well, so I plant the plant even with the native soil and then pile on compostables- leaves, grass clippings, pine needles, etc. 6 inches or so for most of them. if you are not sure, plant the root ball even with the soil, and see how it goes. if you have heavy soil, make an island, and if you have really loose loam, plant deeper, so the rhizomes fromt the surface of the rootball go out into the native soil.