Pine needles

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bambootony

Pine needles

Post by bambootony »

Hello Group,
I have spent the W/E mulching leaves.
The neighbor behind me has a Pine Tree with long grass like needles.
I thougt most Pine needles have lots of acid.
Do you think I could rake the needles and mulch my bamboo with the needles.
I did the neighbors leaves and got $12.00 and a Pumpkin Bread Loaf. :D
I got 12 bags of leaves this w/e..
From Bamboo Tony
40 miles N.E of st louis
Mackel in DFW
Location info: 0

Re: Pine needles

Post by Mackel in DFW »

I believe the pH of pine needles is around 5.8, but so is rainwater, so I would say it is slightly acidic; as it breaks down it becomes even less so, it's suppposed to be very easy to work with and some people prefer the way it looks.

I'd use it on our bamboo, and any mulch that is free or close to it, is really nice to have. Here in DFW hardwood mulch happens to be free from the city of Fort Worth. If you're the curious and scientific type, check your pH in the soil occasionally, do a comparison and see what you find might be an ideal pH for a particular bamboo species. And report it of course.

I've heard that for lawn grass, at least, a soil pH of 6.2 is close to ideal, and anything between five point five and seven is a suitable growing range, so the soil in other words, should be slightly acidic as well. pH is important because it effects the solubility and avaiablility of various nutrients to the plant.

I've noticed with my bamboo that if you leave a pile of wood chips around the bamboo, that you'll soon find rhizomes running in it. I don't know if that is the same case with pine needles but it would seem to be no different. I guess some of the more experienced growers might have experience with both.

Regards,
Mackel in DFW
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Just this year I started using pine needles as well. Last year I had a friend bring me a truckload of bags of yard waste- he does property maintenance. it was mostly bagged grass clippings and fir needles, all of which, when combined, broke down into fantastic compost around the boos. this time of year I gather every spare leaf and other organic debris I can, and pile it up several inches to a foot thick around the bamboos- larger, more established boos get a thicker layer- and it breaks down pretty much completely by spring, when I start adding more. one benefit, once rain starts here, the weed seeds sprout like mad, so the mulch around the plants gives a nice buffer zone that I dont have to mow next year!
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

The pine trees showed up on the property that I have sometime after the last major Ice Age and the soil still has a pH of 7.5 so if pine needles lower the ph of the soil they are very slow at it. :lol:

Bill
bambootony

Post by bambootony »

Hello Group,
Thank you for your recomendations

I wanted to ad to my question.
The grass is really brown near the tree with the pine needles.
Do you think that is a PH factor or the lack of nutrients, stolen by the tree?

I will get the needles tomorrow and bag them up.
I have everyones leaves in my area now.
Excepts for those who burned them over the W/E.
40 miles N.E of st louis
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

bambooweb wrote:The pine trees showed up on the property that I have sometime after the last major Ice Age and the soil still has a pH of 7.5 so if pine needles lower the ph of the soil they are very slow at it. :lol:

Bill

WOW... after that comment, I was not sure whether to say "have some patience" or "I didnt know you were that old" :lol:
Mackel in DFW
Location info: 0

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Grass Under Pine Trees-

I believe turpenes (turpentine like substance, fragrant) are produced by pine trees and inhibits growth of other plants, but are volatile and very short lived in dead pine needles.

Regards,
Mackel in DFW