new boo

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Cheesenacho

new boo

Post by Cheesenacho »

hi fellow scientists, i recently acquired an interest to add bamboo specimens to my gardens. My neighbor a few blocks away has massive, i mean huge groves of a few different varieties, some are 75 ft tall. i've never seen so much. anyway they let me take a few culms, i chose some newer shoots about and inch or so in diameter. i cut them into sections about 12 inches each having at least joints and stuck them all into a few pots with fresh potting soil. didnt really expect anything to happen but i checked back a few days later to find new growth at all the joints. some are growing more than an inch per day. the new growth is above ground on one side of the culm is this normal or should i transplant them so the new leaves are under ground. if someone could tell me how to resize the pics ill post them so u can see my stuff. im really amazed how fast they rooted and started to grow.

cool boo
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Re: new boo

Post by ghmerrill »

well, first, welcome to the forums...

second, we would need some information to help you with your question. where are you located? this would help, since you dont know what type of bamboo you have, we could guestimate if you are trying this with a running bamboo or a clumping bamboo. If you are trying culm cuttings with a running bamboo, it just will not work. they may grow some leaves from dorman buds, but they just are capable of rooting fromt the nodes like the tropical clumpers are.

if you do have tropical clumping bamboo, then it sounds like you are off to a good start, just leave them be until you see roots coming out the bottom of the pot. one of the guys who are in a warmer climate would be able to give you more detailed info.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

ghmerrill wrote:...but they just are capable of rooting fromt the nodes like the tropical clumpers are.
I hate when critical typos happen. Gene meant "incapable". The runners are incapable of rooting from nodes like the tropical clumpers are.
Cheesenacho

Post by Cheesenacho »

i resized the pics so we can look and see if anyone knows what i have, i live in sarasota florida. i think they are clumping because the grove they came from was growing in a circular pattern, there are 2 species. i cut the culms about a foot long from younger plants and stuck them in fresh potting soil. this grown is after only 1 week. im addicted and thanks for the welcome. there are a couple of bamboo farms in the area i plan to go back to a buy of different origins.
Attachments
IMG_0146.gif
IMG_0146.gif (110.72 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
the mome were about 20 ft tall and thin/wispy
the mome were about 20 ft tall and thin/wispy
this came from a mom who was 75 ft tall and the mature culm was about 5 inches in diameter
this came from a mom who was 75 ft tall and the mature culm was about 5 inches in diameter
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Alan_L wrote:
ghmerrill wrote:...but they just are capable of rooting fromt the nodes like the tropical clumpers are.
I hate when critical typos happen. Gene meant "incapable". The runners are incapable of rooting from nodes like the tropical clumpers are.

nope, your wrong alen... I actually meant "capable"... however, the previous word came out wrong! I meant they :wink: arent capable!