P. Aurea rhizome growth

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Bo
Location info: 0

P. Aurea rhizome growth

Post by Bo »

In the last week I have planted 10 single culm divisions of P. Aurea. the culms are from 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter and I am in zone 7b. I'm wondering if I will get rhizome growth this year and if so, how soon and how long. I haven't dug my pruning trench yet and the plants are about 6 feet from where the trench will be. I would like to wait for cooler weather for the trench digging.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: P. Aurea rhizome growth

Post by needmore »

Bo, if your plants are healthy and kept well watered, I would expect to see new rhizome growth almost immediately, within the next 2-3 weeks they should be moving out. Then you might see anything from 6-8 feet of spread yet this year, probably more in your summer climate. Dig your trench when you please, any new rhizomes in the way will easily yield to the shovel.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Bo

Post by Bo »

Thanks Brad, exactly what I needed to know. If I find a rhizome that has run a few feet past the trench will I need to dig it up or will it die from being cut?

Also, does anyone have suggestions on timing of pruning after the trench is established?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

New rhizomes are not likely to have any viable buds yet so you can leave them in the ground but they should be easy to pull if you prefer. Also the initial couple feet + from the rhizome tip toward the grove will not likely have viable buds, even on older rhizomes.

I prefer to prune as little as possible so I wait until February/March and do the pruning all at once. Doing it then allows me to harvest some bare rhizome for new propagules at a time when they should be full of stored energy and more likely to push new culms. During shooting season if I discover shoots coming up that I missed pruning, if it is a species I wish to propagate I'll let it grow out until late summer/early fall and then dig it out/pot it up and remove the rhizome at that time, otherwise I'll cull the shoot if I don't want that species in a container.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com