Where can I get P. parvifolia?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

After I read Paul Whittakers book Hardy Bamboos I was really excited about trying to grow parvifolia here in Tennessee, but I have been unable to find a source. Apparently I'm not the only one looking. Any thoughts, ideas??
Thanks.
David
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

take a number :(

(welcome to the forum)
Rick
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hi Rick,
I figured as much. Do you know the laws regarding export-import of bamboo from Europe to US?
Thanks
David
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

There are a few americans that are currently growing the parvifolia

Check out the christmas came early post by Bill. He even decorated his parvifolia with ornaments for the holiday season.

Maybe Brad will see this post. He would know all the regulations because he has gone that route and brought some bamboo over here in the America's last november. Apparently they have to be in quarantine for a year. There are a lot of complex steps if done legally.

Ok, I found it in archives...... check out the thread:
How do we make bamboos not here in the U.S. more available?
http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?t=40&start=0
Brad lists all the steps he has/had to go through to bring bamboo to u.s.

Here is a list that he was trying to bring to america.
http://bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

Not sure how many of his rhizomes are surviving to this day. Maybe he could update us on the PROJECT
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

I can honestly say I have no clue about export since I haven't had to go down that path yet. It is definitely illegal to import without proper license/permit blah, blah, blah (help Brad!)..... I guess since it is a grass it is seen as a threat to our agricultural. About a month ago I tried to find out more on the USDAs site, but gave up after 20 minutes.
Rick
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Allright Iowa, I'll check :lol: Believe it or not, I have not contacted the quarantine greenhouse yet to see if anything has started shooting - I will check this afternoon and get the word - fingers crossed.....
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

You have things that keep you busy in the winter. My work is based on summer, so I have alot of time to think in the winter. :joker:
Steve in France
Location info: 0

Here's hoping

Post by Steve in France »

I hope Brads bamboos come good. Even so with some like Parvifolia they are hard to propagate, Mr Jos VDP says so and if he thinks there hard to propagte then for normal mortals they will be very hard indeed .
I have two here now but I need two more for friends and that will take time perhaps a year or more.The easy way for me to get more would be to buy them but they are not available. There maybe some in the UK at the moment yet to be firmly ID'ed .
On the move front all is up in the air again , we are still hoping Washington but it could be Sydney Oz or back to Hong Kong. I hate not knowing and hope it will all be cleared up soon.
So if one of you could start growing a large clump of Parvifolia and Vivax H inversa for me that would be nice.I may pickup the clump in the Fall or it could be a few years more, just keep watering and mulching until I show up please :lol: .
Later
Steve
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

David
Are you an ABS member?
If you are and there is one at next October's ABS rare plant auction you can bid on it.

The official announcement will come later but part of the plant auction for the conference in Hawaii will be on the internet at :hello1: bambooweb.info :hello1:

If you are not a member you can still bid on it but you will have to go to Hilo on October 21th.

Bill
David

Post by David »

Hi bill,
You know ,I sent my ABS membership application to the national address last Nov. and I haven't heard anything from them yet. I sent several e-mails to various people and finally heard from a very nice Gerald Morris who said he would get things straightened out . So no I'm not a member, but not because
I haven't tried. What do you think the parvifolia will go for?
David
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

David,

My wife bought me an ABS membership for Christmas and I haven't heard anything yet. If you get any contacts or have a clue what's going on, please pass the info my way. If they are busy I don't want to bug them...

Thanks,
Rick
David

Post by David »

Rick'
I just got an e-mail from Sue Turtle, ABS Treasurer, and she said it could be 8 weeks before we here anything, since they are staffed by volunteers. So there is hope.
David
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Let me know if you hear from or receive something from the ABS. ....my check was cashed on Dec. 29th :(
Rick
David

Post by David »

Hmmm.... :shock: