tonkin cane

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore

tonkin cane

Post by needmore »

I am aware of the hardiness listings of this species but I wonder if anyone has tested it to confirm it's apparent lack of hardiness?

I grow a couple of different A Gigantea clones and am quite familiar with them but I dug what I identified as another A Gigantea clone from a garden in my area and it is extremely hardy as expected. However, in every other manner this bamboo looks like Amabilis and I would have ID it as such except for its hardiness. My original ID is based on it's physical characteristics and surely then, Gigantea due to it's hardiness. Amabilis spends time as both Arundinaria & Pseudosasa in different listings and this plant is much more like it than the Gigantea that I'm familiar with. My guess is that it really is an unusually attractive form of Gigantea, but it made me wonder just how tested the Amabilis is? Anyone tried to kill one of these in a cold climate?
fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Tonkin Cane

Post by fredgpops »

I have one and it has had major ups and downs. Although ABS has it as a full sun plant, mine withered in a area that was a 3 or 4. I moved it to a shade zone in spring and it has recovered and appears to be doing fine.
I really like the look of it and it has very unusual leaf sheathes - they look like insect eating plants. It has responded real good to a couple of doses of fish emulsion. The mother plant is in Texas and has also had major ups and downs. I also believe that this species needs to be planted in an area with extra good drainage. Rgds
Mike,Marietta,SC,z8a

Post by Mike,Marietta,SC,z8a »

Pseudosasa amabilis has taken 13F at my garden and 6F at a garden in Piedmont, SC without any damage. My plant is 25 feet high and the plant at Piedmont is 35 feet high.

Post by Guest »

Mike,
Do you sell any of your tonkin cane? I would be interested in some larger divisions.
Thanks,
Eric

Post by Guest »

I don't yet have enough amabilis to divide and sell. My plant has only been in the ground for 3 years and I have been keeping it root pruned to maintain it in a clumping habit. Currently it is growing in a clump only 2 feet in diameter.
EBinNC
Location info: 50

Post by EBinNC »

Mike,
If you ever do divide out some large divisions please let me know and I will buy some from you or trade for some P. Lithophila, It should be large enough then. :P