BooKing
Location info: 0

Phyllostachys Gigantictboointheworldchensis

Post by BooKing »

Anybody heard of this? 8)
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

not really sure how to respond to this one......

if this was a joke, it wasn't blatent enough for me given that we have to deal with Latin and (pick your derogatory adjective and insert here) people who name their findings to confuse us.

If my phyllostachys vivax 'whatever it is' keeps its dark green stripes and I get a chance to name it I'll keep this one in mind.

If you were serious:
I haven't heard of it and neither has Dr. Google von Yahoo
Rick
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Is that the one that can grow in the permafrost on the tundra. Supposedly it has reached 50ft tall according to the the eskimos. Not sure how well it does in warm climates such as yours, konifer. 8)
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I'm sorry guys, the cold is getting to me :wink:
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Sign me up for your new variety. The cold already got me. I think this is the earliest I've been wiped out. I've pretty much buried everything now in a desperate attempt to save young culms. Leaves are now history. :cry:
--Mike
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Mike, how low of temperature did you get during this arctic blast. So far it has hit -10F here. Going to be warmer tomorrow, so I guess I'll check the bamboo or what's left of it. :(
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Rick, it's funny you mention Dr. Von Yahoo, he is currently using tissue culture techniques with the the Parvafolia and it's going to be mass-produced and widely available by spring. He first crossed it with fargesia for extra hardiness and hibanobambusa tran for the leaf form . I, personally think he's a "Mad :twisted: sciencetist", but he's not even a sciencetist,
just a bambooaholic :idea: .Still, I am interested to see what this bamboo will do.
So fellows, don't worry about -10 or even -20 by next year you'll have this new boo and your problems will be solved :wink:
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

I had -7F. Jeez, I'm glad you're around to help make me feel like I'm in a tropical paradise around here. :D
--Mike
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Places such as sioux city hit record -16F when I hit -10F. So far this week below negativeF temperatures: -5F , -10F, -9F, and just this morning -6F.
With temperatures in the -F's this early in the season, it shouldn't hurt as bad as latter when the ground will be possibly frozen.

I noticed my autumn olive in a tree tube still had some green leaves.

With a spring-like 15*F, I decided to venture out to see the bamboo. I noticed the bamboo wasn't as happy as last time I had seen it. I can't really tell the extent of damage the leaves have sustained yet, but rubro looks like it still has some functioning green leaves on it.

Rubro comes in first place through one arctic blast.

Which boo have you put your money on to win survivor this winter. :?:
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

Interesting that Rubro is hanging in there. Mine was looking pretty bad so I buried it. My best one so far is, as Brad predicted, 'Hoosier' Rivercane. It too is looking stressed, but the leaves are still not burned like the others.
--Mike
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

Its been near 0F here for the past week and the only bamboo that has not noticed the low temp is A. gigantea 'Macon'. The surprising thing is it was planted in late September so it did not have much time to get established.
Everything else that is above the snow is showing different degrees of damage. The Rubro and Bissetii have some leaf damage but still look good. The worst looking plant is the Y. maling.

Bill
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

:shock: I stayed away from the Arundinaria genus. So far the talk has indicated it crawls rather than runs. :cry:
Wasn't there a story about the tortoise and the hare :idea: