Visit to Jos' Nursery

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

No, my main motivation for this project was to import bamboo for research purposes to see if there are larger, hardy bamboo in Europe that may offer a US zone 6 gardener another species to enjoy and perhaps one that would be larger. Once I decided to do this I expanded my wish list from 6 species to a total of 22 that may not be in the US. Some of these will do better in other parts of the country and I may not even plant out a few (Nigra Fulva, for example), but what the heck, I had the ability to bring in a few more so we'll see what comes next.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Count me out on the Shanghai3 and Parvafolia fanlist...How are we too be sure these are not just some form of "Nuda" or "Dulcis" or "Vivax" or whatever. I'll stick to the ones I can get here for a nice price. I think too much was made of all these 2 plants ...
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Yea, RIGHT...Who am I fooling I want that dam* parvafolia :wink:
Steve in France

Sorry to hear

Post by Steve in France »

Sorry to hear Jos had some snow damage, I guess it's the Aureosulcata in front of the house on the street and the big Vivax A that stands alone just as you enter the garden, most of the other bamboos are clumped together so perhaps they supported each other.Sorry to miss you Brad it would have been good to be there at the same time.
On the Shanghai 3 front I like you asked Jos about the hardiness and had the same answer, does not make much difference with my conditions here as we get cold weeks every now and again but often mild periods like this week where nights are in the low 40's and days 50's.

No one needs to worry about getting a Parvifolia, they will be so rare for the next few years that it's not worth worrying about getting one :lol: .

Interesting you got the Fulva Brad, I must try and get one too, Jos mentioned he had it but I did not add it to the list at the time.

It seems that my mystery nigra may well be Mejiro (Spelling), time will tell.

Jos does read this board as he talked about it when I was there, seems I'm not spreading too mich misinformation yet :D .
I'm looking forward to the Spring trip with Markj and perhaps a couple of others. Jos did say he was off to see Mike Bell it would be fun to hang around and listen while those two talked shop.
Later
steve
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I am getting parvafolia by midsummer!!!Alrerady spoke to the grower... :D :D :D
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

A. gigantea ssp. tecta 'Omega'

Post by Thuja »

A. gigantea ssp. tecta 'Omega' sounds like a good selection. Leave it to someone outside the U.S. to find the beauty in a bamboo that gets no respect in its own native county. I don't see many different cultivars for sale in the US. Brad mentioned that Adam Turtle collects them but I think he's a wholesaler so it seems like it's difficult to get ahold of anything but grabbag varieties.
--Mike
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

I'm wondering if A. gigantea seed is regularly available. It would seem to me that some of it should be flowering somewhere in the U.S., since it is native and not all derived from one clone.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Tripple brook farm talks about theirs is flowering ( http://www.tripplebrookfarm.com/iplants ... naria.html )
8)
But canebrake isn't one of the most sought-after bamboos, so people probably just see it as free bird feed. :idea:
needmore

Post by needmore »

Adam has the specific list and he is away for a few days so I do not know if the Shanghai 3 or any other particular species have started shooting yet but I did just learn that 24 of the 49 pieces of rhizome I brought back have shoots, a few are already starting to produce leaves.

There was a total of 23 species that the 49 pieces came from. Sounds like at least a few may make it as US citizens. :D
Steve in France

Very Pleased

Post by Steve in France »

Very Pleased to hear of the success so far, well done ,you have done something for US Bamboo growers that has need doing.Fingers crossed for the Shanghai 3. Thanks also for the mention of Adam & Susanne Turtle's nursery, I've heard of them as but was not aware of there nursery. It means when we finally get over the Pond I can buy some big divisions, as we only stay in a country for a maximum of five years big divisions will be important to me.
Well done again
Later
Steve
needmore

Post by needmore »

Steve, I seem to recall you stating a preference for plants that have been container grown for at least a year and the Turtles inventory will be the opposite in that they are freshly dug divisions. I know there are 2 schools of thought on field division versus container grown and which is preferable but I always prefer to buy large divisions even if only a few weeks out of the ground. Even though they almost always top kill and the following spring the growth will be puny, the rhizome vigor from a large division in my experience ends up sizing up faster in years 2-3 than a smaller container grown plant - particularly if both top kill. I've ended up doubling up on several container grown plants I bought by going to the Turtles and getting a field division of the same species to try to jump start the small container guys.

I offer both container & field divisions to customers but I go to great lengths to ensure that they have the appropriate expectations.
Thuja

Post by Thuja »

Yes, congrats! Keep growing!
--Mike
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

:twisted: Its good to know some have survived the shock. :twisted:

IT's ALIVE! ALIVE I TELL YOU!
Thuja

It's alive! Alive I tell you!

Post by Thuja »

LOL! Those were Brad's words exactly as I recall.
--Mike
Markj

Post by Markj »

Hope you get 100% Brad, the ammount of effort/hassle should well rewarded if you ask me 8)
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!