Visit to Jos' Nursery

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

VanDell
Location info: 0

Photos of Jos van der Palens Bamboo-Nursery

Post by VanDell »

Hello,

if you are interested seeing photos of Jos van der Palens Bamboo-Nursery "Bamboekwekerij Kimmei" in Holland, feel welcome to visit my homepage on

http://www.fandel-online.de/jos_van_der_palen.html

where you can find a few pictures I took last summer.

Greetings from Germany!
VanDell

Pimp your garden - grow bamboo!
Steve in France

It goes like this

Post by Steve in France »

Hi Brad, I like plants that are the type I ask for first and formost :D
I have a mix here of pot grown from ground divisions and divisions or whole clumps given to me by garden friends.If I buy a pot grown bamboo I hope to see three or four fat rhizomes running around inside the pot. I like to plant in late Aug as then this years growth is putting it's energy into rhozomes for next season.With the climate here I get rhizome growth for most of the Fall and winter, hence my single 6 ft culm Shanghai 3 after one season is a three culmed 10 ft bamboo. All my Bamboos have done well , I know the main reason is constant water and mulching.The Ph. B. Holochrysa I recieved from Paul Spracklin had grown in his garden for 12 years and was a tight clump with no runners, Paul lives in the driest part of the UK. After being in the ground here for 8 months it has some 6 ft runners already and now I need to start installing rhizome barriers on my Bamboos.
I think if I was to say what I would like a field division to have it would be 3 nine foot culms with atleast 3 feet of running rhizome spread and dug deep to gain all the roots possible so the culm blades would all get enough water, also it would need to be an Aug division and directly planted in my garden to gain all the Fall growth, that would be my ideal division.
Later
Steve
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Steve,
I guess when you have been doing this for a few years(and don't stay in one place) you can be more picky :wink: . Here I was going to offer some smaller divisions if/when you get to DC, but they probably wouldn't be good enough for you. :P

Just give me as much heads up as possible, and I'll let you know what I have when that time comes.
Rick
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Steve, if you do end up in Wash DC, be sure to add 6 months to your August target as that would not be a good strategy there. And the rootball for a 3' wide, deeply dug division makes my back sore just thinking about it! :shock: Mine and also the backs of about 5 other people!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Steve in France

Thanks

Post by Steve in France »

Rick thanks for the kind offer, I'll be in touch when we get over there.
Brad there is a saying I guess you have heard already " If it takes ten men to plant a Bamboo it it will be take one year for it to form a large grove, if it takes one man to plant a Bamboo it will take ten yeras to form a large grove" well something like that anyway :D I'll also be taking your advise on when to buy and plant.
Later
Steve
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

And the other saying
It takes a day to bulldoze a bamboo grove
Great pics of jos place, VanDell. What kinds of bamboo did you get while you were there?

I like bamboo that is shipped in 1 gallon containers. With no bamboo nurseries close to me, I am a bargain bob. 8)
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Hallo VanDell-- Very nice! Great pix and nice site too.
--Mike