Potted Alphonse Karr

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Gerryo619
Location info: 0

Potted Alphonse Karr

Post by Gerryo619 »

Hello, (San Diego, zone 9-10)

So I have several (7) AKs in big ceramic pots that if I had to guess are about 30gallon in size. I've had them in these pots for approx one year. Last year's growth was OK at best and what did grow was infested by mealy bugs and the black soot stuff, so the plants were all looking rather "ratty." Foliage was never really full and canes themselves looked patchy with several actually turning a dark brown color.

So fast forward one year, I have been treating the plants with insecticide and also gave them a treatment of Bayer Tree and Shrub. This seems to have improved the infestation although the black sooty stuff doesn't really go away. Over the past couple of weeks all the plant have been producing new shoots while last years growth is about 7 feet tall, however not really looking too healthy/pretty.

So my question is:
Can I/should I cut off all or most of the taller "uglier" canes from previous growth in order to let all the new growth come in. What I am hoping for is that now that the plants seem to have established themselves better, the new growth will look a lot nicer and will grow more foliage in order to create the screen that I desire. I have already cut-off several of the older/taller/uglier canes off of one of these plants, but I stopped myself before doing the same to the others so I could get a second opinion from you guys, any thoughts? Sorry for the long post!
Gerryo619

Re: Potted Alphonse Karr

Post by Gerryo619 »

Picture
Attachments
IMG_6277 (2).JPG
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

anyone?
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Maybe a few closer shots so forumists can see exactly what's happening.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

Will do. I'll take closer shots when I get home
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

In general, cutting off too much too soon will generally result in smaller growth of the new culms and maybe some reduced vigor for the plant. For me I'm willing to pay that price, I'd rather have not-ugly-now stuff and slowed development than to have ugly hanging around. In Hawai'i I rarely saw A Karr that did not have the ugly soot at the branch junction with the culms.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Gerryo619

Post by Gerryo619 »

Thanks for the reply! So that brings the question: Is A Karr hard to keep looking pretty and manicured? Without any ugly culms?
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

it seems to look a little ratty on the older culms up here in Norcal. new stuff looks great id leave everything till the new shoots harden then thin some if you want
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
jbd

Post by jbd »

Alphonse Karr looks ratty here in Central Texas, too. Even mature clumps. I got rid of mine.
needmore

Post by needmore »

At a nursery yesterday I saw one with ants at nearly every branch junction. My guess is they were looking for aphids farms to set up or whatever local version they do, and as a rule that creates the environment for the black sooty fungus that shows up down the road.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com