Post by bambooweb »

The Pacific NW Chapter of the American Bamboo Society presents:
Portland Bamboo Festival
Hoyt Arboretum - Picnic Shelter
Saturday - July 26th, 2008
From 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM
(FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC)
Proceeds from plant sales benefit the Pacific NW Chapter of the American
Bamboo Society, a non-profit IRC 501 (C)(3) corporation.

Come to purchase and learn about growing bamboo. Dozens of clumping and
running potted bamboo plants in various sizes will be available to purchase
and take home at special festival pricing. See different species of bamboo
(running invasive and clumping non-invasive types) and learn the growth
characteristics of each kind in the Northwest. There will also be garden
books and tools, bamboo furniture, and beautiful bamboo crafts for sale.
A live auction of rare and unique bamboos, many of which are not in
cultivation will take place. Go to seminars with the experts on growing,
dividing and landscaping with bamboo. Learn the methods on how to control
bamboo in the garden. Don't miss this FREE event!

9AM to 3PM - Bamboo Plant Sale, Local Bamboo Specialty Nurseries
11AM - Rare Bamboo Auction by Ian Conner, Bamboo Horticulturist
12 Noon - Garden Landscaping by Dr. Brent Chapman and Phil Comer, President PNW Chapter
1PM - The New Clumping Bamboos by Noah Bell, Bamboo Garden Nursery

MARK YOUR CALENDAR!

For more information contact:
Adam Williams, Event Coordinator
-email-
C# 503-516-2395

Map
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

RE: 2008 Portland Bamboo Festival

Post by svendrix »

Thanks for the info Bill!

This is the event that got me hooked on bamboo last year... ;D

---Sven
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

From Ned Jaquith:
THERE WILL BE A NUMBER OF LARGE UP TO 15 GALLON SPECIAL RATHER RARE BAMBOOS IN THE AUCTION.

THERE will be a 15 gallon Ph vivax h-inversa, 10 gallon tall Ph parvifolia, Ph bamb Richard Haubrich, Moso bicolor, not big, but rare. Lots of other bamboos, it should be our largest sale and auction.
Bill
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Any way to get a list of plants to us and setup a proxy? My birthday is in mid August so I have yet another excuse!
Rick
bambooweb
Site Admin

Re: RE: 2008 Portland Bamboo Festival

Post by bambooweb »

rfgpitt wrote:Any way to get a list of plants to us and setup a proxy? My birthday is in mid August so I have yet another excuse!
Normally the plants in the auction are not known until that day. If you will be around a phone Tomorrow send me an email and will call you before the auction.

Of course I might miss telling you about any plants that I am interested in. :twisted: :lol:

Bill
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

I'm interested in Fargesia denudata, robust 'Wolong' or murieliae.

I'll send an email with my cell #, but I'm not sure what my plans are. If nothing works out, no worries.

Thanks!
Rick
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

The festival seemed to be a hit. This year there must have been twice as many plants for sale as last year.

I did come back with a Fargesia sp. 'Scabrida', a F. 'Jiuzhaigou 10', a F. communis and a green Phyllostachys that might be Nuda along with a 'Wolong' for Rick.

I did lose out on the auction plants that I bid on. I might have to find a Chusquea andina someplace else.

Bill
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

bambooweb wrote:I did come back with a Fargesia sp. 'Scabrida', a F. 'Jiuzhaigou 10', a F. communis and a green Phyllostachys that might be Nuda along with a 'Wolong' for Rick.
Happy almost birthday to me
Happy almost biiiirthday dear me-ee

Seriously though, thanks Bill for your non-stop support of the ABS and this site!!!!!

*Edit - I just realized in all my excitement, it isn't even August yet and my Birthday is mid-month. Please help me find another good reason for purchasing another bamboo plant when my landscaping won't even allow for me to plant until I do a little more work?????

*Edit#2 - can't use support of the ABS cause I think my last two purchases were auction wins - thanks again,
Rick
svendrix

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

I would have loved to have been there, but couldn't justify the solo drive and $50 in gas to look at bamboo I couldn't afford at this time. Did you get any pics by chance bill for the PNW bamboo site? I hope gas will be cheaper next year, as it was a really fun event last year!

---Sven
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

svendrix wrote:I would have loved to have been there, but couldn't justify the solo drive and $50 in gas to look at bamboo I couldn't afford at this time. Did you get any pics by chance bill for the PNW bamboo site? I hope gas will be cheaper next year, as it was a really fun event last year!

---Sven
Not an excuse. Next year just say you would like a ride and I can pick you up in Hood River. I had room for another person and their bamboo (Within limits). It would also make me think before bidding on a 12 foot tall auction plant like I did this year. :shock: If I had won it it would have been interesting getting it into my car.

I did take a number of photos that I will try to get up on pnwbamboo.org tonight.

Bill
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

svendrix wrote:I would have loved to have been there, but couldn't justify the solo drive and $50 in gas to look at bamboo I couldn't afford at this time. Did you get any pics by chance bill for the PNW bamboo site? I hope gas will be cheaper next year, as it was a really fun event last year!

---Sven
Sven,

You're not old enough to remember the good old days when premium gas was ONLY 33 cents a gallon. In 1969 I was driving a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 XL with a 428 C.I.D engine getting about 10 mpg, smoking tires between stop lights, having to buy premium gas at the low price of 33 cents per gallon. Now those were the good old days. Then nobody was complaining about the high cost of gasoline.

Now I'm driving a Chevy Avalanche rated at 14-19 mpg and the regular gas it uses is about $4.00 per gallon. Boy do I long for the good old days!

NOT!

Comparing my salary then with my retirement income now, and comparing the 33 cents to $4.00 per gallon, gasoline is cheaper to me today at $4.00 per gallon than when I was paying 33 cents a gallon. I think for most people, my age, it would be the same way.

If gasoline had risen in price as most other things did in the last 39 years, then no one would be complaining about the high cost of gasoline. Now, in the early 1970's, when gasoline went from 30 plus cents a gallon to $1.50 plus cents a gallon in a matter of about 6 month and my salary stayed the same, that was something to complain about.

Here's :occasion5: to the oil companies for giving us something to talk about and making the word "economy" more important than the word "war".
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Bill,

Glad you could get me a robusta 'Wolong'. It really is a nice unique look for a Fargesia, similar to how vivax leaves are a bit bigger than other Phyllostachys.

Sent an email or two - please send me a total - I can't remember if it was donated or set cost.

Thanks,
Rick
svendrix

Elevation 700 feet

Post by svendrix »

Bill, I didn't even think about that (you driving through Hood River!!!). Maybe next year we can carpool? I'll look for your pics later after they're up!

Roy, you're right about gas prices. Nice thing about the good-ol days, back then you could still buy a house/land for $12,000 (at least in Seattle in the 60's). The dollar is just so worthless these days it's not even funny.

---S
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

svendrix wrote:...

Roy, you're right about gas prices. Nice thing about the good-ol days, back then you could still buy a house/land for $12,000 (at least in Seattle in the 60's). The dollar is just so worthless these days it's not even funny.

---S
Sven,

I don't know about those great house prices. In 1963, I was working Summers on a "work over" oil rig drawing $1.05 dollars per hour. Now if I had worked job for the entire year, at 40 hours a week, then that's a little over $2000 per year. What helped was that I would work 84 hours per week and I would earn about a $1000 per Summer. I used that $1000 per Summer to go to a community college ($360 per year room and board, plus $36 yearly tution, plus about $50 per year book rental). Best and cheapest 2 years of my 5 years of college.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »