Mercer Bamboo meetings

Post and Discuss bamboo events.

Moderator: needmore

Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Mercer Bamboo meetings

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Mantis, I saw you post about showing up at Mercer when the meeting was canceled. The cancellation was posted on the Mercer web page. You can also add you name on an e-mail list one of the members sends out info about meetings on. There have only been a handful of cancellations so far. I sure hate you made the drive, but it sounded like you must have caught up with Jeff.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis
Location info: 22

RE: Mercer Bamboo meetings

Post by mantis »

Yep, met up with Jeff. On top of all the plants he also gave me a fire extinguisher. 8) I would kill to have his plot of land. I couldn't imagine having a couple acres to plant boo on, and still be so close to the city. Not to mention being just a stones throw from Mercer.

I was going to ask you, what is that huge variegated bamboo that he has? He doesn't remember what it is. Is it D. giganteus (variegated)? I might have to do some horse trading to get a division of that... :lol:

And as for the meeting being canceled, it's fine. We got to walk through the gardens and see stuff we normally don't see. They are doing a lot of work in the back bamboo grove. Where did the lake go? :shock:

I'll definitely be up next month for the conference. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

-mike.
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

RE: Mercer Bamboo meetings

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Jeff is a great buddy of mine. he does indeed have a wonderful place. I just toured his place again last month. he has added many plants in the ground since the trip before.
I will need to check on his big variegated plant as I do not recall. I did ID all his plants last run up but don't remember this one specifically. I don't think he has a D. giganteus (variegated).
I am glad the run up worked out well for you. The lily pond is being revamped and will be back in shape before long. All the original bamboo area will be reworked in back also. After that many years all the runners had jumped barriers and were all mixed and in neglect. The back area will become a showcase like the front when finished.
I am glad you will make the conference. I am sure there will be activities you can help with that will be greatly appreciated. All of the events there are organized so folks can participate. That is one thing I really like about Mercer.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas