Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

Mercer March Mart, March 28-29, 2008

Post by mantis »

Friday and Saturday, March 28 and 29, 2008
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

http://www.hcp4.net/mercer/marchmart/index.htm

March Mart, an annual fund-raising event held the second-to-last weekend in March, is sponsored by The Mercer Society, a nonprofit 501(c)(3), volunteer organization. The plant sale proceeds support special projects and educational programs at Mercer.

One of the Texas Gulf Coast area’s largest and most anticipated horticultural events, the sale attracts amateurs and experts alike. March Mart features a huge selection, more than 2,000 varieties, of quality plants rarely found at local retail nurseries. Exhibits by local garden clubs and organizations allow gardeners with similar interests to share ideas and information.

This event is conducted by hundreds of volunteers and more than 120 experts will be on hand to answer horticultural and gardening questions. Throughout the year, dozens of volunteers labor to select the plants sold at March Mart, raising many of the plants from seeds, plugs, or cuttings, often from Mercer’s own plant collections.

Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens
22306 Aldine Westfield Road
Humble, Texas 77338
(281) 443-8731
Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

RE: Mercer March Mart, March 28-29, 2008

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

The bamboo booth has moved. We will be set up to the left of the visitor center by tropicals. Jeff Carron, a Mercer Bamboo Group regular will be working the booth with me.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis

Post by mantis »

There is no way I can make it up there on Friday. In you experience are there any good plants left by Saturday? I'll be up there Saturday morning with my 4 year old for sure, and possibly my wife and 2 year old as well.
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Yes, every sale is different. Each sale I try to find a balance of plants and anticipate what folks what. Each sale varies and I never hit it just right! Friday is a mad house and never no time to visit. Sat is more laid back.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Mercer March Mart, March 28-29, 2008

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Yes, every sale is different. Each sale I try to find a balance of plants and anticipate what folks what. Each sale varies and I never hit it just right! Friday is a mad house and never no time to visit. Sat is more laid back.
I find that to be very true. What was "hot" last sale, may only have a lukewarm reception this sale. Definitely a guessing game.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote:
I find that to be very true. What was "hot" last sale, may only have a lukewarm reception this sale. Definitely a guessing game.
I arrived at the plant sale at 9am Saturday, and they had sold out of all bamboo... If I remember correctly, Bamboo Outlaw told me that they had sold 90 plants by 11am Friday. :shock:

We bought a flat of veggies and herbs. We are now up to 16 tomato plants. :laughing1:
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Yeah, we were mostly sold out by lunch Friday, probably 115 plants by then. Before the end of the sale we moved all the Mercer Robert Young and many small variegated runners. I had folks move gingers and cactus over and sold them between answering bamboo questions. Any yes, sold out the cactus too. The next Mercer sale will be in May.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

Outlaw,

I have been thinking about selling some B. Lako at Mercer next March. What are the guidelines? Can a backyard grower sell? I might be able to bring 50 or so if I keep all the cuttings this year. They could be in the 5 - 15 gallon range by then. What do you think they could go for?

Just thinking about it at this point to see if it would be worth while.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Post by Mike McG »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Yeah, we were mostly sold out by lunch Friday, probably 115 plants by then. Before the end of the sale we moved all the Mercer Robert Young and many small variegated runners. I had folks move gingers and cactus over and sold them between answering bamboo questions. Any yes, sold out the cactus too. The next Mercer sale will be in May.
Steve,
The Ph.v. 'Robert Young' were priced right, but, except for a couple of plants, there was too much mold on them to properly show off the color of 'RY'. I thought you were going to have a problem selling a relatively big runner like 'RY' into the Houston market, but you are a good salesman. :D I think you could have sold twice as many clumpers with a wider selection.

For those people from Texas who may be interested, Mercer's press release from Dec for the May event reads as follows:

Mercer’s Spring Bamboo Festival. Sat. and Sun., May 24 and 25 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The bamboo festival features lectures on growing and dividing bamboo, pest and disease control, landscape uses of bamboo, and what you can do with bamboo once you grow it! There will also be vendor booths of bamboo related items, along with a bamboo plant sale and a live auction on Saturday afternoon where you will get a chance to bid on some choice, hard to find bamboos. There will also be guided tours of Mercer’s bamboo plantings throughout the garden. The festival is free and open to the public. Call for reserved seating in the lectures.

I will definitely try to be there.

Mike near Brenham TX
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

boonut wrote:Outlaw,

I have been thinking about selling some B. Lako at Mercer next March. What are the guidelines? Can a backyard grower sell? I might be able to bring 50 or so if I keep all the cuttings this year. They could be in the 5 - 15 gallon range by then. What do you think they could go for?

Just thinking about it at this point to see if it would be worth while.
You would need to write Linda Gay on that one.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas