The 2nd Annual Southeast Texas Bamboo Festival

Post and Discuss bamboo events.

Moderator: needmore

Mike McG
Location info: 71

The 2nd Annual Southeast Texas Bamboo Festival

Post by Mike McG »

Just a reminder that the 2nd Annual Southeast Texas Bamboo Festival will be held as part of the Kathina Celebration at the Buu Mon Buddhist Temple in Port Arthur, Texas on Saturday and Sunday, October 27-28. http://www.buumon.org/ Their address is:
2701 Procter St. Port Arthur, TX

From last year's visit they have the following bamboo growing on their grounds:

B. beecheyana
B. chungi
B dolichomerithalla 'Silverstripe'
B. emeiensis viridiflavus
B. lako
B. malingensis
B. multiplex 'Alphonse Karr'
B. multiplex 'Fernleaf'
B. multiplex 'Golden Goddess'
B. mutababilis
B. oldhamii
B. pervariabilis viridistriata
B. textilis glabra
B. textilis kanapaha
B.textilis albostriata
B. textilis gracilis
B. tuldoides
B. tuldoides ventricosa
B. tuldoides ventricosa 'Kimmei'
B. vugaris
B. vugaris 'Wamin'
B. vugaris 'Vittata'
D. asper
D. giganteus
D. minor 'Amoenus'
G. atroviolacia
G. psuedoarundinacea
T. siamensis

There are some pictures at http://www.buumon.org/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=27

Mike near Brenham TX
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: The 2nd Annual Southeast Texas Bamboo Festival

Post by boonut »

How big is their D. Giganteus? I may have to make a trip up there. Can you tell me a little more about the Festival? Is it sponsored by the Monks? Is TBS involved? Do they sell bamboo? What do they do at the festival?
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I just looked at the map to see where it is. Looks like about 7 hours 8 minutes North of here. Might be a little too far out of the way.

I will probably be going through that way around Christmas. Do they offer tours at any time?

Thanks for any feedback Mike.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Mike McG

Post by Mike McG »

Allen,

Yes, this event is "sponsored" by the TBS. As you probably know, the Buumon Temple have been members of the TBS for many years. Judith and Jim Bussey coordinate the event and I assume are doing so this year. The Temple was not selling any bamboo last year but there were some vendors selling bamboo to the public but not a large variety. As I recall Steve Muzos, Grady Magnum, and a couple of vendors who I did not know from either LA or SETX were selling bamboo. They could have used a vendor selling some of the more tropical clumpers that would survive in the Port Arthur area (USDA Z9) than what us "Northerners" can grow. The Temple had quite a few plants in pots around and one of the TBS members talked the Rev. Viet into selling what I believe was a very large leafed fig they had propagated.

I do not recall that the D. giganteus had gotten very large. I do not think it was very old and maybe it will be larger this year. Mark Meckes and I wandered through the garden together and at the time the largest bamboo in the garden had a D. giganteus label on it, and Mark question it, but later that label had been moved somewhere else. I think it was decided that the large bamboo was probably B. oldhamii.

It is long way from Harlingen to Port Arthur. Even for us it is a 3-hour drive each way.

Mike near Brenham TX
Mike McG

Post by Mike McG »

Allen,

I guess I did not answer all your questions, this festival is part of the Temple's Kathina (new robes) and High Ordination ceremony on Sunday. This Temple primarily serves the Vietnamese Buddhist community in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area. There were other stands there selling things such as traditional Vietnamese food. My impression is that these sales go towards helping to support the Temple. Last year Judith Bussey gave a slide presentation on bamboo for the public.

The monks and others at the Temple are very open and I would expect would allow you to tour their gardens, at least self guided if not guided. I would suggest contacting Danny Dubuisson whose phone number is on their webpage http://www.buumon.org/ or at their email address. I got a copy of a map of their bamboo last year but I am not sure I kept it, at least it was not where I would have expected I would have filed it. As I recall, the map was slightly out of date.

Mike near Brenham TX
boonut

Post by boonut »

Thanks Mike. Sounds like it would definitely be worth visiting. I was surprised to see the tropical clumpers growing that far north. I will try to plan a visit in the next two months.

I haven't attended any TBS events in a while. I really wanted to go to the TBS festival this year, but things at work got in the way.

Not very many people down here growing bamboo.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: The 2nd Annual Southeast Texas Bamboo Festival

Post by Roy »

boonut wrote:Thanks Mike. Sounds like it would definitely be worth visiting. I was surprised to see the tropical clumpers growing that far north. I will try to plan a visit in the next two months.

I haven't attended any TBS events in a while. I really wanted to go to the TBS festival this year, but things at work got in the way.

Not very many people down here growing bamboo.
But I know you are putting in a lot of effort to change attitudes in your area.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Mike McG

Post by Mike McG »

Roy,

When I saw you had commented on this post, I thought you were going to ask if their B. mutababilis came from Puerto Rico. :D

I will take my camera this time and try to take some pictures.

Mike near Brenham TX
Roy

Post by Roy »

Mike McG wrote:Roy,

When I saw you had commented on this post, I thought you were going to ask if their B. mutababilis came from Puerto Rico. :D

I will take my camera this time and try to take some pictures.

Mike near Brenham TX

Mike,

I know it's late at night, but for the life of me I can't figure out the B. mutabilis and Puerto Rico connection? :?:
Roy Rogers
Mike McG

Post by Mike McG »

Roy,

I thought I had read that perhaps the "real" B. mutabilis had been imported in to Puerto Rico a number of years ago. For example on Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:06 pm in the post on Difference?: B. mutabilis vs B. textilis 'Kanapaha', Mike Hotchkiss indicated that
B. mutabilis (PI 128...) was imported into the U.S. but is not in Puerto Rico or Miami and apparently was lost.
I was just speculating that perhaps it survived hidden away in some collection somewhere.

Mike near Brenham TX
Roy

Post by Roy »

Mike McG wrote:Roy,

I thought I had read that perhaps the "real" B. mutabilis had been imported in to Puerto Rico a number of years ago. For example on Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:06 pm in the post on Difference?: B. mutabilis vs B. textilis 'Kanapaha', Mike Hotchkiss indicated that
B. mutabilis (PI 128...) was imported into the U.S. but is not in Puerto Rico or Miami and apparently was lost.
I was just speculating that perhaps it survived hidden away in some collection somewhere.

Mike near Brenham TX
Mike,

I would definitely like to see a true B. mutabilis. I think that a myth has been circulating for about 20 years in the USA that the true B. mutabilis is 20 feet by 2 inches diameter. The description of it in some bamboo books I've looked at lately show that B. mutabilis is more like B. textilis gracils in size and look of the clump. Not like a regular B. textilis with about 1/2 height, but with the same diameter culms of 2 inches.
Roy Rogers