Mercer Aboretum and Botanic Gardens Garden Faire

Post and Discuss bamboo events.

Moderator: needmore

Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Mercer Aboretum and Botanic Gardens Garden Faire

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Mercer Arboretum & Botanic Gardens is excited to announce the 2nd Annual Garden Faire Saturday and Sunday, September 22 and 23, 2007. Saturday?s hours will be 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. and Sunday?s hours will be 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. The 2nd Annual Garden Faire will feature regional plant societies and local artists with garden related items, and the public will be invited to visit the vendor booths of garden art and plant societies.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis
Location info: 22

RE: Mercer Aboretum and Botanic Gardens Garden Faire

Post by mantis »

I'll try to make it up for the event. I dropped my wife and sons at the airport this morning for a visit to MN, so I'm flying solo for the next 6 days. I was planning on doing some rearranging of a couple bamboo on Saturday morning, but that can wait.
Bamboo Outlaw
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

The Garden Faire is a much slower pace than March Mart and allows a great opportunity to visit with folks between sales. There will be others there from the bamboo group manning other booths. I will be working the bamboo booth both days. Come on out and update me on the bamboo cuttings!
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis

Post by mantis »

I'll be up there around 10am Saturday unless I can motivate myself to mow the lawn tonight. I hate mowing the lawn, but at least it gets smaller and smaller every weekend as more bamboo goes in the ground :)
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

Glad you made it up. That Bambusa Chungii "Barbelatta" will be a nice addition to your collection. :D
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Mercer Aboretum and Botanic Gardens Garden Faire

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Glad you made it up. That Bambusa Chungii "Barbelatta" will be a nice addition to your collection. :D
I've relayed my frustrations with Bambusa chungii, but I've been working with Bambusa chungii "Barbelatta" for a few months now and I treat it the same way I do Bambusa chungii . So far the Bambusa chungii "Barbelatta" is 100 percent easier to work with than Bambusa chungii. No yellowing of leaves, burnt leaf tips, browning of culms with Bambusa chungii "Barbelatta" on potted divisions.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

This is interesting. The lady who brought the Barbelatta said it was very easy to divide and takes off very fast. I told her regular Chungii has a reputation as being hard and went over the details folks report. This was one she had picked up in an earlier Mercer sale and divided herself after attending a bamboo division class there. We will see how these divisions do and let you know.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:This is interesting. The lady who brought the Barbelatta said it was very easy to divide and takes off very fast. I told her regular Chungii has a reputation as being hard and went over the details folks report. This was one she had picked up in an earlier Mercer sale and divided herself after attending a bamboo division class there. We will see how these divisions do and let you know.
A nurseryman who buys B. chungii (whenever I have some potted up and looks good) from me told me that he propagates the B. c. "Barbi" and that it was easy to propagate by division, but that the B. chungii gave him trouble, just like it does me. Well, my good friend, Chuck Theroux, gave me a pot of "Barbi" and I divided it up into 5 pots and the leaves stayed green and several of the pots are putting up new shoots.

I've heard that "Barbi" doesn't have quite the same amount of white bloom on it as regular B. chungii does. Don't now that for a fact. Does anyone else have an opinion on this information?

The first picture below seems to verify that statement, but the 2nd picture tends to refute it.

Pic 1

Pic 2

--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I have two 3 year old Chungii that definitely don't look all that great. Maybe I should try the Barbi. The new shoots look really good for about 4 months... then the culms turn a little yellow, the leaf tips burn, the leaves look a little yellow.

Could be the alkalinity or salt in the soil. With all the rain, I wouldn't think the salt would be an issue.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
Bamboo Outlaw

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

The bloom looks the same on the ones at Mercer.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
mantis

Post by mantis »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:Glad you made it up. That Bambusa Chungii "Barbelatta" will be a nice addition to your collection. :D
Every time I go to the meetings at Mercer I come home with 2 new bamboo... Last time it was Oldhamii and eutuldoides 'Viridivittata', and this time was chungii var. barbelatta and ventricosa 'Kimmei'.

I might have to stop coming to the meetings because I am out of room in the yard :laughing1: