ABS N.E. Chapter Meeting

Post and Discuss bamboo events.

Moderator: needmore

rfgpitt
Location info: 24

ABS N.E. Chapter Meeting

Post by rfgpitt »

Anybody here an ABS NE chapter mem? I've just joined (Dec.) and am still waiting to here from them or get something in the mail. I've been considering going to the meeting in MD early June. Does anyone have any additional info on this or are planning to go themselves?
Our Spring Meeting will be held on June 3 and 4 at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore and with the Baltimore Conservatory and Botanical Gardens. It is a great venue with lot to see at both these locations and many magnificent gardens with lots of bamboo close by. So far we have a program which includes Bamboo 101, the latest techniques and new approaches to bamboo fences and structures, bamboo and its effect on Japanese culture. We are working to line up some local excellent speakers on bamboo in the landscape and bamboo in the nursery trade.
All members should be planning on providing plants for the auction. This is a very critical source of needed income for the Chapter. Each of us should bring at least a few plants or ship them ahead to the Zoo. For vendors selling plants, contact Cady, (one of our board members) for the hot scoop on how to maximize your sales and make display and set-up easy.
Rick
CadyG
Location info: 0
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

Hi Rick,
I'm on the ABS Northeast Chapter board and am helping with the meeting arrangements (I'm in charge of recruiting vendors). It's going to be an amazing meeting.

The Maryland Zoo is planning a Bamboo Festival to go along with our meeting, both of which are open to the public (you have to register for the NEC meeting though).

Kurt Bluemel, famous area grower of grasses and bamboo, has agreed to host a group visit to his nursery. There are some other great surprises too, particularly with some really excellent speakers. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell you yet who one of them is, but if it's okay, I'll spill the beans. :D

We found out that the meeting is the same weekend as a big ball game in Baltimore, so if you plan to be there from out of state, make your hotel reservations now.
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Cady,
Any more info? I should have several small divisions to bring to auction.
Rick
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

Your divisions are welcome (as are you). Because of the meeting, the zoo has planned a bamboo festival that will be going on concurrently. The ABS/NEC auction is being held near the festival so the public can bid. So, our chances at actually selling stuff to newbies - and getting them "into" bamboo -- are greater!

We will be having some really, really neat activities. Wolfgang Oehme, the 21st-century equivalent of Olmstead, is our feature speaker. Kurt Bluemel, of the vast Bluemel's Nursery (grasses and bamboos, perennials) is providing a tour of the nursery for all meeting participants (you don't have to be an NEC member, but you do have to sign up for the meeting). And, there are other neat things happening, the zoo bamboo festival being one of them.

NEC invites any local vendors to have a vending table at the Bamboo Festival. If you do it through us, your only fee is the 15% of net profits donation to NEC. If you do it through the zoo, you pay the zoo a table fee that varies by degree (commercial, non-profit or student, etc.).

And, we always need auction donations. Contact me if you are interested in either a vending table or donating an auction item (you can also sell items via the auction, and NEC gets 15% of the net proceeds).
Cady G.
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Is there any particular hotel that people are staying at? Are there enough going to get a discount rate somewhere?
Rick
CadyG
Zone 6b

Post by CadyG »

There was negotiating with nearby hotels, but I don't know whether a solid agreement was made. Susanne Lucas is editing the spring NEC newsletter, and details of any hotel arrangements and other meeting stuff will be published there.

There is a major ballgame happening in Baltimore the same day as the meeting, so a lot of hotels will be filled fast.
Cady G.
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Yes, the Yankees are in town. That's why I'm trying to book now. Don't want to get stuck paying $300/night.

Thanks again,
Rick
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

You mean the "2006" World Series Yankees. :lol:
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Got some info today from Susanne Lucas. Here is a link to a .pdf with the tentative June 3rd schedule, registration form, vendor info, and garden tour info/signup for June 4th:
2006 NEC Spring Meeting
Rick
CadyG
Zone 6b

Post by CadyG »

Good for you, Rick. You're ahead of the game. :) Thanks for posting the info.

This is going to be a really informative & fun meeting.
Cady G.
Mark_NoVA

Post by Mark_NoVA »

I'm going, sounds great! Hope to pick up & see some interesting bamboo. Any news on hotels yet?
CadyG
Zone 6b

Post by CadyG »

I was surprised that the hotel possibilities weren't mentioned in the NEC newsletter that just came out. There was some discussion with the Radisson or Marriot... one of those harborfront dives :D but it didn't work out. I think we're on our own.
Cady G.
rfgpitt

Post by rfgpitt »

Mark_NoVA,

most of the hotels (just about all) downtown (Inner Harbor?) are already booked or are $$$$$. I think I'm staying at the quality inn (carlyle?).
Rick
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

Stay at the Holiday Inn Express and you might learn how micropropagation TC is done. :lol: :lol: