Post and Discuss bamboo events.

Moderator: needmore

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

ABS Internet Auction

Post by Roy »

Bill,

What was the feeling on the success, or not, of the ABS Internet Auction by ABS leadership. Is it something that we will probably see again at the next ABS National Conference?
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: ABS Internet Auction

Post by bambooweb »

Dave Flanagan has asked me to do another auction for next year. We will start talking about it after the first of the year.

Bill
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: ABS Internet Auction

Post by Roy »

bambooweb wrote:Dave Flanagan has asked me to do another auction for next year. We will start talking about it after the first of the year.

Bill
I'm wondering how many auction plants were actually the highest bid (Internet Auction) and bought by someone not at the ABS Auction in Hawaii?

That's not saying that the plant(s) would not have been bid and sold at the auction, but one would know that the Internet bid was higher than the actual auction bid price in Hawaii.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Roy I looked through the list and counted 6 of the 44 plants that were won by bidders not at the conference.

Bill
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:Roy I looked through the list and counted 6 of the 44 plants that were won by bidders not at the conference.

Bill
Seriously, because I won 4, so that means only 2 other plants were won by web bidders? Wow! :shock:
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

There were also a number of other plants where the high bidder won with their web bid but were also at the convention.

Bill
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

First off- Thanks very much Bill for all the time and effort you put into the auction. The site worked well, and I appreciate you doing it for us.

I didn't win anything, and I was at market plus on several of the plants. It seems that perhaps the unintended purpose of the internet auction became price setting at market or above, and ensured that there were no low winning bids at the acution.

As a donor I found it interesting that the ABS has not sent out thank you notes, or emails.

I also find it interesting that despite prompt, free shipping on my part I did not recieve confirmation that the plant was recieved by the buyer or a thank you or kiss my grits.

At this time I am not interested in participating next year as a buyer or donor. I'd rather just write the ABS a check.

Thanks for letting me ventilate.

Regards,

David
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
CadyG
Location info: 0
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

David wrote:I also find it interesting that despite prompt, free shipping on my part I did not recieve confirmation that the plant was recieved by the buyer or a thank you or kiss my grits.
David, you're not alone. I didn't receive receipt confirmation from either of the two winning bidders of my plants. I'd e-mailed them both after the auction, and when I shipped (at no charge) their bamboos. Both responded to the first post, but neither answered the second to let me know that their packages had arrived ad their plants were in good shape.

We can just assume that their bamboos arrived alive and intact
Cady G.
"Killed two..." -- Seiji Miyaguchi/Kyuzo
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

David wrote:First off- Thanks very much Bill for all the time and effort you put into the auction. The site worked well, and I appreciate you doing it for us.

I didn't win anything, and I was at market plus on several of the plants. It seems that perhaps the unintended purpose of the internet auction became price setting at market or above, and ensured that there were no low winning bids at the acution.
Here is my take on the auction. I admit that it's my first experience with the ABS auctions, so I am probably way off base...

I viewed the auction not so much as a way to get a good deal, but more of as a fund raiser for the ABS. I could've bought all the plants that I won for quite a bit less locally than what I bid. In fact 2 of the plants I won were donated by the grower that I buy my bamboos from, so I just went to his place and picked them up after the auction. One of those plants (B. doli. 'Green stripe') I won for $77... I bought one from him a month earlier for $65. So, the same plant from the same grower that I already had I spent more for through the auction.

I'll definitely be bidding again next year (if they do the internet auction again).

-mike.
CadyG
Zone 6b

Like Kyuzo (pictured above) in "The Seven Samurai," I've "...Killed (more than) two..." bamboos.

Post by CadyG »

That's exactly how I see the auction, Mike. It was, after all to raise funds for ABS. That's why I donated bamboos and threw in the shipping free as incentive to bid. The ABS benefitted from both the item donators and the bidders.
Cady G.
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

That's exactly how I see the auction, Mike. It was, after all to raise funds for ABS.
What are the funds for, general expenses? Is there some kind of promotional bamboo board that oversees ad campaigns to spread the word of bamboo, the timber grass?
CadyG
Zone 6b

Post by CadyG »

Lance,
ABS does a lot of different things, including providing funding for research both to promote scientific inquiry into bamboo (genetics, propagation, origins, etc.) and its cultivation for commerce -- much of it in developing countries where growing bamboo for food, fiber, construction materials and other local and export products is being assisted by ABS allied organizations and people -- as well as aesthetics (artists and craftspeople who work with 'boo as a medium have been given grants to fund their work).

You might want to join, and get involved in your regional chapter. You'll get the ABS journal, which often includes the latest research as well as folksier entries on domestic 'boo growing, various conference reports, and photos to drool over of exotic 'boo collections. Regional chapter activities can include 'boo clean-ups in private groves and collections, in which you get to keep the booty you dig... (dangling 'boo shoot on stick in front of Lance). :) The activities are funded by members through dues, auctions and other fundraising means.
Cady G.
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Regional chapter activities can include 'boo clean-ups in private groves and collections, in which you get to keep the booty you dig... (dangling 'boo shoot on stick in front of Lance).
I think I should stick with a corn club. It would be much easier to find and dig such things in my locale. :lol:
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Post by Thuja »

Ya, so far I'm in the corn club with Iowaboo. Around here there aren't any groves to clean up, digs to dig, etc. The regional chapter I think is in Ohio, 3 states away. The research and ABS publications sound worthwhile tho. Maybe 2007 will be the year I join. :shock: Or someone could give me a lifetime membership. :D

Anyway, good job on the donations all you 'boo donators!
--Mike
Iowaboo

Post by Iowaboo »

Ya, so far I'm in the corn club with Iowaboo
corn is fascinating with all the different color of kernals.
once example: