So, what is the status with the ABS auction.

Post and Discuss bamboo events.

Moderator: needmore

Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: So, what is the status with the ABS auction.

Post by Roy »

hoe_NC wrote:Wow! Those 'Silverstripe' culms REALLY are beautiful!
The top picture is from a clump in my backyard. The bottom picture is of a clump taken about 10 miles southeast of me. The guy got a division from me. Believe it or not, but that's only about 3 years worth of growth. Going uphill from the clump is building that houses a lot of exotic birds and game chickens. The building floor gets hosed down several times a week and all the nutrients and water flows downhill to this clump.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis
Location info: 22

RE: So, what is the status with the ABS auction.

Post by mantis »

... [looks at watch]... [tapping foot]... C'MON!!! Bring on the results! :P
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

mantis wrote:Today is the day :blob8: :blob8:

Honestly, the only plant of the 7 I am high bidder on that I REALLY REALLYwant to win is the B. Doli. 'Silverstripe' (now that I have my B. Lako :D). I already have spaces picked out for all of them though, so whatever happens will be good.

Now watch... knowing my luck that is the only one I'll get outbid on :laughing1:
mantis
You did get both of the B.dolichomerithalla at the web price. You also got the Alphonse Karr for $35, and the Mexican Weeping for $47.

Other notes: The Parker Giant went for over $250, the B. 'Hirose' went for the $203 web price, the F. 'Genf' that I was bidding on was over $200 when I stopped paying attention.

It was a really good auction with Durnford Dart as auctioneer and Kinder Chambers handling the proxies, I handled the photos and plant info and someone from the Hawai'i chapter recording the bids.

Bill
mantis

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:
mantis
You did get both of the B.dolichomerithalla at the web price. You also got the Alphonse Karr for $35, and the Mexican Weeping for $47.
Yay!!! :blob8: Perfect. My wife really likes the Mexican Weeping. It was just yesterday that I was finally brave enough to tell her that I was high bidder on 7 plants going into the live auction. Out of the 7 the Mexican Weeping was the one that she was most excited about... then I told her that the current bid was $47 and my max. was $50, so she wasn't expecting a win. She will be happy. :)
bambooweb wrote: Other notes: The Parker Giant went for over $250, the B. 'Hirose' went for the $203 web price, the F. 'Genf' that I was bidding on was over $200 when I stopped paying attention.

Bill

Wow! Looks like it was a successful auction for the ABS 8)
mantis

Post by mantis »

Ok, I told my wife we won the Mexican Weeping, and she was happy. She then immediately asked where are we going to plant it??? I said we'd just do a raised bed in the middle of the yard somewhere. She then got very concerned because we are renting a giant inflatable bouncy-bounce thing for my sons 3rd b-day in the beginning of December, and now there wouldn't be room for it. I told her that we could wait until after the party to put the bamboo in the ground ;)

I didn't tell her that I also won a few other boos Image
Roy

Post by Roy »

You got a good price on the 5 gallon Mexican Weeping for $47.00. I know I wouldn't adopt one out for that little bit of $$$.
Roy Rogers
mantis

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote:You got a good price on the 5 gallon Mexican Weeping for $47.00. I know I wouldn't adopt one out for that little bit of $$$.
Throw in the $29 for shipping and it's about what I could pick one up locally for ($65 + tax). :)

Actually, I think the shipping costs were the deciding factors on all the bamboos I won. Luckily the 2 B. dolichomerithalla were donated by Bamboo Texas, so I'll just drive up to John's place and pick them up :D
Roy

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:
Roy wrote:You got a good price on the 5 gallon Mexican Weeping for $47.00. I know I wouldn't adopt one out for that little bit of $$$.
Throw in the $29 for shipping and it's about what I could pick one up locally for ($65 + tax). :)

Actually, I think the shipping costs were the deciding factors on all the bamboos I won. Luckily the 2 B. dolichomerithalla were donated by Bamboo Texas, so I'll just drive up to John's place and pick them up :D
Maybe the markets a little different in your area (I mean like you are closer to Mexico than we are :lol: ), but I just did a plant sale and the 5 gallon single culmed pots were going for $75 each with smiles on the purchaser's face.
Roy Rogers
mantis

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote:
Maybe the markets a little different in your area (I mean like you are closer to Mexico than we are :lol: ), but I just did a plant sale and the 5 gallon single culmed pots were going for $75 each with smiles on the purchaser's face.
Now that you mention it, I'm starting to second guess my recollection of the price I was quoted on one. I only priced them once, and that was a few months ago. I thought they were $65, but they might have been $75, or even $85. Sleep deprivation is not a good thing :(