Tried to save an albino.

Document your results with different mulches, seeds, mutations, TC or other experiments.

Moderators: needmore, David

dependable
Location info: 0

Tried to save an albino.

Post by dependable »

Here is picture of albino bamboo seedling I tried to save by dipping leaves in evaporated cane juice water. It lived a lot longer than it should have, and near the end seemed to be making chlorophil. If I was a little more serious and had a better indoor facility, it would still be alive, although it may never have amounted to much.
Attachments
IMG_0883.JPG
Tarzanus

Re: Tried to save an albino.

Post by Tarzanus »

wow, it does seem to have some chlorophyll in it's last leave. Albino seedlings are seriously damaged and have almost no chance of survival. Looks like in the end, some might survive. I have no idea what the end result would be. Would be nice to see almost completely white bamboo. Like Okina but even more white. It would certainly not be vigorous. :)
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Hopefully that surpassed okina, nabeshimana, or bicolor, but you do need photosynthesis to keep that living. There's also the chance that the albinism is not genetically related which I've seen quite a few of.

I've gotten the goldstripe or variagated leaf to a relatively light extent, usually 2 stripes per leaf or a couple of pin stripes at best. It would be interested if that was combined with a culm deformation mutation, but my guess is that the chances of that happening may be one in a few billion unless a clone is genetically engineered to do that.

Something like the tubaeformis mutation mixed with nabeshimana and variagated leaves would look pretty cool. Something entirely different seems possible too as aureosulcatas have quite a few variations.

Tarzanus, have you gotten any cool mutations through the years?
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I never got anything stable. I have one extremely vigorous moso that produced unbelievable long rhizomes last fall. The same seedling had shown white variegation in the spring after shooting, but it faded with hot weather. Leaves on it's first branches were all nicely variegated though.

Most of other Moso seedlings were all-green, and I caould call them anything but vigorous. I'm trying to save them and give them another chance after vole massacre, but I doubt it's worth the effort.

Bunch of Ch. pallens seedlings all seem to be green. One of them had shown some striping, but I've lost it last year when it dried out completely when I was absent. They are still in small containers and aren't doing quite well. I have to take care of those. Hopefully they will show some kind of mutation.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Hey Tarzan, why not try introducing some native snakes into your boo, and take care of them voles, since your cat already seems pretty fat and happy. :) M
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have one hissing around and last year it was quite large already. I hope it returns. Sadly I only see it a couple of days each year and it's always lurking around bamboos. I have a dog that hunts them, not cat. Neighbors have cats, and cats have some more cats, but they don't seem to have humans. All have voles tho. :D

I was speaking about variegation last year... It looks like this year the variegation returned. It's most likely going to happen each spring.