Website experiments

Moderator: needmore

fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Website experiments

Post by fredgpops »

Suggest the site ask members to rank their top 3 experiments to run for the upcoming year. Examples might be most effective fertilizer, most effective pruning methods, most effective propagation soil, etc. Members would volunteer to help determine experiment guidlines and run experiments. Volunteers would post results in the growing bamboo forum. Rgds
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Website experiments

Post by foxd »

Well, I've had this idea for an experiment to hydroponically grow bamboo. The basic setup would be an aquarium filled with weakly fertilized water and there would be a large air stone to put lots of bubbles in the water. A rhizome would be fastened to a floatation device to float the rhizome in a fixed orientation near the surface. An aquarium heater would be used to keep the solution a fixed temperature. There would also be growlights.

I had also considered experimenting with atomic mutation of bamboo using the Americium out of a smoke detector. I figure the best way to maximize mutations is to attach the Americium to a cap that could be placed over the growing tip of a rhizome.

I also have some wilder experimental ideas involving cyborg bamboo, but I could see those going horribly wrong.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

foxd - your zone indicator (5b/6a) is wrong. Twilight zone is more applicable. Rgds
foxd

Post by foxd »

fredgpops wrote:foxd - your zone indicator (5b/6a) is wrong. Twilight zone is more applicable. Rgds
It would explain some of the headlines I've seen over the years in the local paper, such as Green Space Being Preserved and Voices Heard on New Highway.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

My idea about the cyborg bamboo is based on the Backster Effect, which involves measuring plant perception using a polygraph and electrodes attached to the leaves. It occurs to me that we could carry this a step further and use changes in the resistance of plant leaves with amplifiers and trigger circuits to control external devices, such as a robotic transport for the bamboo. I'm sure the interface would not be that difficult to design. :?
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

foxd - Been there, done it. Worked a year in Transylvania. Not a AC/DC deal, however. Takes a major thunder/lightening storm to boot it up. Kilozombos of energy with white alphas, holding the neutrons hostage in the ring of fire (also called the John Cash epicenter). By the way, appears the stake to the heart that did Count Dracula in was Golden Bamboo. A guy with your knowledge could make 10000 gliboats a month in Transylvania (reverse outsourcing). Check it out.
Mackel in DFW

Post by Mackel in DFW »

Here's What I Would Find Interesting-

An infrared camera that takes a photo in time lapse of underground rhizome growth.

Regards,
Mackel in DFW
foxd

Post by foxd »

fredgpops wrote:foxd - Been there, done it. Worked a year in Transylvania. Not a AC/DC deal, however.
Interestingly enough, we passed quite close to Transylvania on the way to the Anderson Grove Cleanup. If I had realized how close I would have insisted we make a detour through it just to say we'd been there.
By the way, appears the stake to the heart that did Count Dracula in was Golden Bamboo.
I'm not surprised! I'd stumbled on discussion about bamboo stakes on a vampire hunters forum.

Interestingly, apparently bamboo is responsible for the belief in Chinese hopping vampires.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Wow - as Disney said, "it's a small world". Appears there is a lightening strike chaser club , a funny farm, a FPO landing area, a Count Dracula Museum, and a Australian bamboo steak house close to Bloomington. You Da Man.
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

gave a coworker of mine water bamboo for hydroponic experiment
foxd

Post by foxd »

fredgpops wrote:Wow - as Disney said, "it's a small world". Appears there is a lightening strike chaser club , a funny farm, a FPO landing area, a Count Dracula Museum, and a Australian bamboo steak house close to Bloomington. You Da Man.
I haven't found the Count Dracula Museum and I have yet to visit the Medical Museum in Indianapolis, however I have visited what was formerly Shades of Death State Park. (Now shortened to Shades State Park to make it more family friendly.) I've also visited the John Dillinger Museum that used to be over in nearby Nashville, the Hammer Museum in Northern Indiana. (I forget the town name, but the nearby restaurant used to have Satanic rituals upstairs. BTW, order the ham.) Nashville also has trees with rocks in them.

I have also visited the nearby haunted cemetery, which is kind of disappointing. The ghost is a woman in black who sits on a stump shaped like a chair, except the stump is no longer there. It's not like the cool ones that have the Gates of Hell open up and demons pour out across the countryside. Or where the residents don't venture outside without holy water.

One town also has a statue of a guy waving two bears around.
Attachments
bears.jpg
treerock.jpg
hammer.jpg
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

foxd

Post by foxd »

Oh yeah, another bamboo experiment idea I've had. Many of you now know that a number of species are known to actually be sterile hybrids of two other species. This sterility is usually caused by there being unmatched chromosomes between the parents. My idea is that there are chemicals that could be used on the growing rhizome tips to trigger more polyploidy in the sterile plants to double the number of chromosomes, so that there will be matching chromosomes in the cells of the plant so it can properly flower and set seed.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/sa ... 1Colch.htm
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.