Sharing zone specific data/info

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Sharing zone specific data/info

Post by Alan_L »

foxd wrote:Perhaps we ought to set up a system of Bamboo Zones?
Isn't that what we were talking about already? :?
fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Creative thoughts. Thanks
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

Alan_L wrote:
foxd wrote:Perhaps we ought to set up a system of Bamboo Zones?
Isn't that what we were talking about already? :?
We have Hardiness and Sunset Zones we try and relate the bamboo to, but the Zones themselves are based on temperature, latitude, ocean influence, etc., and the dividing lines between them don't match up with where the dividing lines of where the bamboo does well.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
dudley
Location info: 44
zone 9a/b
right between too cold & not cold enough

Post by dudley »

an extra column on our plant lists might help.
anyone who thinks they might share my zone could see in my plant list that vulgaris has top killed 3 of 5 winters and rarely looks good.
or that chungii and ventricosa thrive
or p nigra runs out of control
oldhammii sizes up quickly produces few culms
kanapaha attractive but sizing up slowly

we should all have a location button by now.
"Plants are people just like us"
foxd

Post by foxd »

dudley wrote:we should all have a location button by now.
Though some of the locations are kind of interesting. One person was located in the ocean off the coast of Africa. :shock:
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
foxd

Post by foxd »

Thinking about it, it might be a good idea to add the location button to the Members list.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Use the member's Plant Lists tied with their Location to build a map of where each plant is growing... in the picture data base have a button in the Size/Temp/Description table to show a map of where that plant is growing.

edit: in the Exchanges forum we already can search through the member plant lists to see who is growing each plant, so this is pretty much 1/2 way done. Instead of posting the member's names, plot their locations.

Yes, I know this won't be completely accurate, but it should give a decent density plot where you can tell if there are anomalies.
Mike McG
Location info: 71

Post by Mike McG »

This general subject has been discussed before, probably several times, and when you start to think about it, it quickly becomes very complicated. I think there are just too many parameters involved to generalize this into a zone type system. I am not sure there is a good solution, but might it not be easier to just expand on the present system based on parameters for specific bamboo species? Add additional parameters such as maximum temperature, drought tolerance, wind tolerance, salt tolerance, rainfall, soil alkalinity or pH tolerance, where it is successfully growing, etc.?

Mike McG near Brenham TX
fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

I think my objective would be to get people in like zones to
easily see who else lives in a similar zone, and to foster communications amongst them. Seems like in the course of discussion, the differences in microclimates within the zones can be, and will be discussed. Rgds