New Forum Software

Moderator: needmore

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

New Forum Software

Post by bambooweb »

I am planning on upgrading this site to v3 of the phpBB software this weekend.
Hopefully I can get it done late Friday night so it will be back up and working on Saturday. The site will be down for a couple of hours :lol: as I update everything.
After it is back up you might have to reset your cookies but I think that has been fixed.
There could also be some problems with other site pages because the session and login code has changed but those should be quickly fixed.

Some things will be different than the current version.

NO HTML in posts or signatures.
This was a security hole that they changed with the new software. If you posted photos with html they will not show.

Attachments.
I will turn on the attachments for posts (and signatures?) so people can upload photos into posts. :hello1: I will later integrate the upload into the photo gallery.

Photo Resize.
I am still working on resizing photos with Img tags so they will default to a maximum of 600 pixels wide.

Digests.
If you are getting a digest, it will stop when the forum changes.
I will be adding a MOD that will allow you to get emails from the forum and will allow you to reply by email. I will need to test it before I add it here.

Plant lists.
These have been moved into everyone's profile and are expanded.

Spell Check.
I have added a spell checker and after it is up and running I will add the spelling for bamboo names.

List length.
Now we can select the number of topics or posts to show on a page. The software has changed so much that it will take some time to figure out how to do it but I will add it back in.

A number of other things have and more will be added as we make sure things are working.

After the swap I plan on clearing out the test site and start a new test site for testing so additions and fixes should come faster. :wav:

Bill
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Re: New Forum Software

Post by ghmerrill »

bambooweb wrote:I am planning on upgrading this site to v3 of the phpBB software this weekend.
Hopefully I can get it done late Friday night so it will be back up and working on Saturday. The site will be down for a couple of hours :lol: as I update everything.
After it is back up you might have to reset your cookies but I think that has been fixed.
There could also be some problems with other site pages because the session and login code has changed but those should be quickly fixed.

Some things will be different than the current version.

NO HTML in posts or signatures.
This was a security hole that they changed with the new software. If you posted photos with html they will not show.

Attachments.
I will turn on the attachments for posts (and signatures?) so people can upload photos into posts. :hello1: I will later integrate the upload into the photo gallery.

Photo Resize.
I am still working on resizing photos with Img tags so they will default to a maximum of 600 pixels wide.

Digests.
If you are getting a digest, it will stop when the forum changes.
I will be adding a MOD that will allow you to get emails from the forum and will allow you to reply by email. I will need to test it before I add it here.

Plant lists.
These have been moved into everyone's profile and are expanded.

Spell Check.
I have added a spell checker and after it is up and running I will add the spelling for bamboo names.

List length.
Now we can select the number of topics or posts to show on a page. The software has changed so much that it will take some time to figure out how to do it but I will add it back in.

A number of other things have and more will be added as we make sure things are working.

After the swap I plan on clearing out the test site and start a new test site for testing so additions and fixes should come faster. :wav:

Bill
YAHOO!!!!!
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote: NO HTML in posts or signatures.
Just checked, and all of Weather Underground's banners are html. Guess my weather sig is going bye bye. :cry:
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

mantis wrote:
bambooweb wrote: NO HTML in posts or signatures.
Just checked, and all of Weather Underground's banners are html. Guess my weather sig is going bye bye. :cry:
The good news is creating new BBCodes is not that hard so one might show up to display Weather Underground banners.

Bill
mantis

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:
The good news is creating new BBCodes is not that hard so one might show up to display Weather Underground banners.

Bill
I just wrote to Weather Underground that they need to come out with IMG code stickers/banners. :)
bambooweb
Site Admin

RE: New Forum Software

Post by bambooweb »

Code: Select all

[img]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather08_both/language/www/US/WA/Tyler.gif[/img]
mantis

Re: RE: New Forum Software

Post by mantis »

bambooweb wrote:Like

[img]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather08_both/language/www/US/WA/Tyler.gif[/img]
Ok, I suck.

:oops:

Now get it to work with KTXSUGAR4 :D
mantis

Post by mantis »

Guess I'll have to stick with the local airport...

millerlightman02
Location info: 46

Post by millerlightman02 »

speak English. I'm just a simple guy here All i hear is wha wha wha like the teacher on charlie brown. :oops:
Michael Geis
wiener dogs and bamboo
what else is there?
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

when in the presence of greatness, just smile and nod, smile and nod..... :lol:

works for me!
bambooweb
Site Admin

Re: RE: New Forum Software

Post by bambooweb »

millerlightman02 wrote:speak English. I'm just a simple guy here All i hear is wha wha wha like the teacher on charlie brown. :oops:
On the Weather Underground site (The weather forecasters not the terrorists with the same name) http://www.wunderground.com/ you can find your town then find "Free Weather Stickers® for Your Homepage!".
Choose a banner and they will give you the code to put on a web page. Remove all of the code except for the part after 'img src='. Example

http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather08_both/language/www/US/WA/Tyler.gif
Paste that link in your signature or post between

[img]...[/img]
and you should have the temperature on your post.

Bill
Markj
Location info: 0

Post by Markj »

All good here :D apart from the RED names, sort of hurts my eyes :wink:
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
GrowingHabit
Location info: 0

Post by GrowingHabit »

Markj wrote:All good here :D apart from the RED names, sort of hurts my eyes :wink:
Have to agree with this one- the red is very distracting. A dark blue that matches the theme overall without the high contrast nagging the corners of the eyes would be nice.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

GrowingHabit wrote:
Markj wrote:All good here :D apart from the RED names, sort of hurts my eyes :wink:
Have to agree with this one- the red is very distracting. A dark blue that matches the theme overall without the high contrast nagging the corners of the eyes would be nice.
That's the red, white, and blue for the Americans.
The blue, white, red for the French.
The white, blue, red for the Russian.

Sorry if I left out someone. :)
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Ah, even Russia :bigsmurf: Ecnal Renkcelk should be happy about that.