off topic posts

Moderator: needmore

Markj
Location info: 0

Post by Markj »

BooKing wrote:. Just my opinion though. Are we making a mountain out of a molehill.
My thoughts too, this place just seems to be working fine....
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
Iowaboo
Location info: 32

Post by Iowaboo »

Dr. booking, jr 'I have a dream' wrote:out of a molehill.

I copy that booking, jr. Frost is slowly leaving the soil around here and the moles have resumed their work. I can see many mounds of dirt puffed up like in that one mtv video.

8)
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

I dont think its makeing a mountain out of a molehill to try to organize ,not everyone wants to read through several off topic pages to find info a topic,thats why the other discusion catagories were made ,to create the campfire atmousphere ,I'm not sugesting the forums be dry and dull but this forum is called Bamboo Information,,,
We bamboo "people" are a wide array of folks,,,with any large group of people in a social setting they will tend to gather into groups,

Why not have at least one erea that is respectful of the more serious minded?
there are bamboo people out there whith a lot of knowledge that have yet to check this place out,it would be a loss for us if any of them moved on because the threads were too tangled ,the more people that find a spot at the fire the more chance I have to get bamboo info from them
Why not have one erea that is respectful of the more serious minded?
Kaylen. zone 8 borderline b.near Boerne Texas
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

We might as well get rid of all those smileys too. It's not professional :lol: :lol: Also, should we be addressed as Mister, Ma'am,Madame,Mademoiselle :?:
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Alright children. Stop fussing. Where is the bamboo love. I love this forum it has been a wonderful winter respite. I've met lots of really wonderful people who share my love for bamboo, and I've learned a great deal from all of you, and I've had some really good laughs. Now lets all get along,stay on topic where we should, and get a laugh where we should. Don't make me get up and wade in amongst you children.

Paw
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

There are 142 members here ,growing at nearly one per day,they dont all know each other,I'm not asking to take away your smilies,Just recognition that the site is growing,and therfore the need of organization is also.
I think thats the Question,do we want to remain small group hangen out ,or do we want grow and include others?,
There are a lot of bamboo people that have a there own reasons for being interested in bamboo ,,we have scientists,hippies,yuppies,professional nursery people,backyard suberb people,republicans and democrats ect..ect...ect..its bamboo that brings them to the same room.
Get them talking bamboo and they are fine,talking other subjects they might not all get along,,
I dont see the harm of having a somewhat nuetral erea where we dont have to know eachother to talk about bamboo
Oregonbamboo
Location info: 39

Post by Oregonbamboo »

Here's an idea! Police yourself and don't hijack a thread......Stick to the subject, make sure the question is really answered, and if you don't have a bit of wisdom to specifically add to the subject matter, move on. Use the off topic/discussions section already here to spar and banter with each other.

It's a waste of time to weed through all the verbal jousting on hijacked threads.

JMHO and I mean very humble....

:wink:
AJ Williams
Cedar Mill Bamboo
http://www.cedarmillbamboo.com

100% Organic Garden and Nursery in Portland, Oregon
BooKing

Post by BooKing »

I think we should stay on topic when a question is asked, BUT a little bit of humor every now and then is good. This is not what Boonatic is suggesting. Boonatic wants it to be all "scienctific", Wow we might attract
Prof Idonotcare to this forum... :lol:
Thuja
1951: -37*F;
1996: -29*F;
2005: -10*F;
2006: -17*F;
2007: -17*F.

Informality & Banter

Post by Thuja »

I don't understand what's wrong with some informality. If this were a professional journal, none of us would be allowed to post. The informality of this website is what allows us to share information. E.g., I'm a complete novice to growing bamboo, but I'm glad to be able to ask questions, give opinions, and share what little I know. If I say something wrong then it's nice to have others chime in and correct me, or present their side of the issue. The informality of this forum is its strength. It allows people to feel comfortable posting a question or answer. People can perceive by reading that we aren't going jump on their grammar, or spelling, or inexperience. Even on the www-informal GW, there are masters of their craft posting messages, so I wouldn't be too worried about scaring away knowledgeable people. To me I find it very easy to quickly skim over the posts and pick out the stuff I find useful or interesting. I can even choose to "watch" certain threads if I want to bypass all the rest. The delete key and scroll wheel allow me to whip through a thousand pages in a blink of an eye.

Anyway, this is bamboo we're talking here and not world politics. I think the banter here leads to a forum environment more conducive to conversation, argument, and knowledge. Without it we end up with a dead forum. Hey, maybe Bill can install a banter filter. :wink: Oops! Where did my message go? I'm not sure we can keep 100% of the world happy with us, but we'll honestly try. Here's to keeping everyone here.
--Mike
kstanwick
Location: Stillwater NJ z6a Sussex county. 20 minutes from the Del. Water Gap.

You know

Post by kstanwick »

I have been watching this develop and i was hoping for some other input. I sent out some my thoughts on this matter i'd say ditto to mike's post. I know little because i'm a bit of a newbie as well. I also think the weather plays a bit of a role in the conversations. If i am looking at a dormant bamboo plant planted in a pot in the dead of winter, well conversation if any at all would wind up being about the pot, size, maybe start poking fun at the brand...who knows. there is only so much you can say about dead looking plant. i feel when the spring hits and the shoots are coming the comments or whatever will be more focused. As far as i'm concerned, this is a dead issue with me. If someone feels that a topic should be moved well then email someone who can move it. Sorry, but i don't feel the forum is that far out of control. I can weed thru most of it fairly quickly myself and when the shoots start showing or i want to know about something you will hear from me.
Kurt Stanwick
Stillwater NJ z6a

Kurt's Garden
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

We obviously have two opinions here. I agree that for some guests "boonaticks" idea (and not just Boonaticks) is 100% valid. But, any good forum has to have activity. Although not always completely informative, if some of the regular posters had to hold-back the site would lose popularity as well. What we are almost asking is for Bill to police this issue which is not fair to him. We got this far and I don't think opinion needs to be debated. If you have an idea that in "your" opinion could better the site, offer it to Bill as needmore did by starting this thread in the first place or send a personal note. How many know (without cheating) what ? Brad asked in the first place? I would hope given the size of the forum and the obvious difference in some opinion that a poll could be constructed before making changes that could possibly upset a percentage of members. If you are a member and contribute you will have an opportunity to vote. Hope this idea is considered.... Ultimately, we have to live with what Bill decides.

Even in arguing we have one goal in mind, to make this the best source available. Let's focus on that goal.

Thanks all,
Rick
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

We are still trying to figure out what can be done with the software but I did see that a thread can be split to keep the post topics together. Check out the "bamboo info/personal info" thread that I hijacked and talked about a spell checker. I split the spell checking post out to a new thread "Spell Checker (was in bamboo info thread)".

I don't mind a few of topic comments in a thread but when it gets hard to read because it jumps around or the new topic deserves its own thread, it needs to be cleaned up.

Bill
Oregonbamboo
Location info: 39

Post by Oregonbamboo »

What I meant by self policing is to just be sensible. Why ask Bill or a moderator "to keep everything in line" and move stuff when appropriate? If the question has been esssentially answered then let it fall off until someone has knowledge to add to it. I think most here are from GW which had only one place to post anything and everything. Other forums who have been around for years that I've been apart of, we used to do it ourselves by stating the obvious and starting a new thread where appropriate. The friendly bantering gives this place personality and I'm just making a suggestion. I can still skip over what doesn't pertain to the subject like anyone else does and the bamboo world will go on.......

8)
AJ Williams
Cedar Mill Bamboo
http://www.cedarmillbamboo.com

100% Organic Garden and Nursery in Portland, Oregon
Markj

Post by Markj »

It has to be said that with the regular posters jumping in with some good one line posts 8) and others replying, it keeps the board ticking along very nicely, even if these posts are off-topic you still click on them :wink:

Imho I think it's going great, though if posts and numbers increase it will need some policing, though the last thing I want to see is

MESSAGES IN THE LAST MONTH: 5
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
boonatick

Post by boonatick »

I may have been missunderstood,I'm not sugesting a sterile envoirment,I personaly enjoy the humor ,I'm trying to help think of ways to organize,so as the site grows we will be able to navigate,,,,