Thanks Bill

Moderator: needmore

Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

Thanks Bill

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

I just wanted to say thanks to Bill H. for all his hard work. He not only does all the work on the pages we see and use daily here, but helps folks in the background where it is not so visable. Again this evening he assisted in my updating data and teaching me what I should already know. Thanks Bill :D
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Thanks Bill

Post by needmore »

I'll use the thanks Bill thread to ask Bill a question - when I am twiddling my dial-up thumbs waiting for a page to load, why do I often see ".. waiting for Google analytics something or other.." What does Google have to do with this site?

Thanks Bill!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Thanks Bill

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:I'll use the thanks Bill thread to ask Bill a question - when I am twiddling my dial-up thumbs waiting for a page to load, why do I often see ".. waiting for Google analytics something or other.." What does Google have to do with this site?

Thanks Bill!
Brad,

I'm not sure what the answer will be from Bill on your question, but I've seen incidences on my computer where it looked like Google was collecting information and I wasn't even having anything to do with Google at the moment. I think Google has a big database/server/? that collects a lot of information on where computers are searching etc. I'm sure if the government wants that information, then I'm sure Google will probably be happy to share it with them. Just in case there is a bamboo terrorist attack.

Boy, did Bamboo Outlaw get his thread hijacked! :o
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

I have Google Analytics set up on the site it is like Awstats that Bluehost offers but with a lot more detail. It gives a lot of information on what pages people are visiting and how they use the site.
Does it take much time to load? I put it at the end of the code so in theory the rest of the page should load before it does.

I just set up a gmail account so everyone can see the reports ans what is collected.
Go to:
http://www.google.com/analytics/

Enter
bambooweb.reports@gmail.com for the email address and
BambooWeb#1 for the password.

Select view reports and you can see the information.
An interesting one is "Benchmarking" under visitors. We beat the benchmark in all but one area. According to it we have 781.41% more Pageviews than similar sized sites.

If someone misuses the email address I will have to delete it but as long as people just use it to view the reports it is OK.

Bill
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Pretty cool Bill. I also noticed that I was seeing google-analytics.com a lot, but via the NoScript plugin I recently installed on Mozilla Firefox web browser. I originally did it for security reasons for the hacked websites that foxd mentioned awhile back, but it is interesting to see where webpages are trying to send data back to quietly in the background.

I highly recommend anyone using the Firefox browser look into it: http://noscript.net/

It basically blocks all JavaScript from being run upon webpage loadup. You can then selectively choose to run any scripts from the list in the lower right hand corner (icon you can click on). You can also over time figure out which scripts need to be run to view the site, and selectively allow those sites to be set to "allowed", so you don't have to do it every time you go to abcnews.com or something similar.

Pretty slick!

---Sven