Bamboo entry list (growth data entry form)

Moderator: needmore

JohnC
Location info: 33

Bamboo entry list (growth data entry form)

Post by JohnC »

I was entering in my bamboos and realized there were two problems.

Borinda Utilis is still listed as Fargesia Utilis, it was my understanding that they are "officially" Borinda utilis now.

I was unable to enter a record for my Chimonobambusa yunnanensis as it's not in the list.

Cheers!

Update: whoops, sorry, I think there are two separate lists here, I'm not talking about the one that displays in the profile when you click on the plants button but the other one that came up in the discussion of a google map display. (I thought they were the same, now I'm confused, I think I just entered a bunch of stuff in the wrong place)

Further update: ok, what I meant is the "Growth data entry form".

(any plans to consolidate the Growth data entry form and the list of plants in the profile?)
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Bamboo entry list (growth data entry form)

Post by bambooweb »

I have not received the Official word to change Fargesia utilis to Borinda utilis but when I do all entries under Fargesia utilis will change to Borinda.

I do plan on linking the data from the growth records to the personal plant lists, the main species list and the location data. I admit that the growth data had taken a back seat to other parts of the site but I am working with the linking for a change in the site when I upgrade to phpBB3.

Bill
JohnC

Re: RE: Bamboo entry list (growth data entry form)

Post by JohnC »

bambooweb wrote:I have not received the Official word to change Fargesia utilis to Borinda utilis but when I do all entries under Fargesia utilis will change to Borinda.

I do plan on linking the data from the growth records to the personal plant lists, the main species list and the location data. I admit that the growth data had taken a back seat to other parts of the site but I am working with the linking for a change in the site when I upgrade to phpBB3.

Bill
Hi Bill, that's odd about the Borinda, I thought that was an "official" change quite some time ago. And the C. Yunannensis or is that not an official type either? I can provide references if you'd like.
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

On the Utilis the Species List does state "May be Borinda but flowers unknown." It makes it hard to divide Fargesia and Borinda since the major difference is the flowers. Also as shown with Boliana it is sometimes hard to tell Borinda and Yushania apart because it took years in the ground before plants started to show the long necked rhizomes.

What we need to do is after Jimmy Triplett publishes his current work we should suggest that he work on the DNA of the Thamnocalamus relatives to try and end the debate.

On the C. yunannensis. Do you have a photo that you could paste to the photo section? If you post a photo and send me an email I will make sure it is added to the extended list.

Bill
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

For what it is worth, I also was looking for Borinda utils so I can add it to my lplant list. I ended u using the "not in list" function and added it that way.

I bought mine from Ned Jaquith at bamboogarden.com last year, and he has it listed as Borinda utilis (formerly Fargesia utlis). Same for Borinda contracta and Borinda fungosa (both were formerly Fargesia).

Again, I know nothing about how names are decided, or changed, or how maintaining the ABS species list works. Just throwing that out there... =D

---Sven
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

bambooweb wrote: On the C. yunannensis. Do you have a photo that you could paste to the photo section? If you post a photo and send me an email I will make sure it is added to the extended list.

Bill
There are photos on the internet of full grown C. Yun (the Asianflora site). but I'd have to ask permission to use them.

I can take a photo of my seedlings, they are about 6 inches high and only have one or two baby culms on them but I'm guessing you want bigger ones for the pics that show the adult characteristics right?
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

JohnC wrote:
bambooweb wrote: On the C. yunannensis. Do you have a photo that you could paste to the photo section? If you post a photo and send me an email I will make sure it is added to the extended list.

Bill
There are photos on the internet of full grown C. Yun (the Asianflora site). but I'd have to ask permission to use them.

I can take a photo of my seedlings, they are about 6 inches high and only have one or two baby culms on them but I'm guessing you want bigger ones for the pics that show the adult characteristics right?
If you are talking about my good friend botanist Cédric Basset's website, then give me the link and I will get them and post them at Bambooweb.info.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Roy wrote: If you are talking about my good friend botanist Cédric Basset's website, then give me the link and I will get them and post them at Bambooweb.info.
Yes, one and the same:

http://www.asianflora.com/Poaceae/Chimo ... nensis.htm

Thank you Roy!

Cheers!
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

Bill,

I have the pictures uploaded of Chimonobambusa yunnanensis, but on the first one I messed up. I pulled Chimonobambusa quadrangularis to see how to type "Chimonobambusa" without misspelling it when I was typing it in the 2nd box and I forgot to change it back to "Not Listed". So change the first one from Chimonobambusa quadrangularis to Chimonobambusa yunnanensis. The 2nd one seems OK.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

ugh! wees been spammed!
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

Spam be gone!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Brad,

can you do that for all the telephone solicitations I receive?????? :lol: