No votes
map2 (3 tabs plus side bar)
14%
map3 (4 tabs)
86%

Total votes: 7

boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

RE: Google Maps test

Post by boonut »

I noticed that the longitude/latitude info I entered in inches translated to decimal which didn't work right. Might want to add that the information should be submitted in decimal form. I updated the information so that I wouldn't be located in the Gulf of Mexico.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: RE: Google Maps test

Post by bambooweb »

foxd wrote:Has any thought been given to putting in the location of each species we have on the map. Or would that just be asking for trouble from bamboo rustlers? :?
That is part of the plan. It is a simple job :) to link from the Species list, to the users plant lists, to locations, then to the map. The growth data will also link off of the users plant lists and you will be able to go to the species information (With Photos) from the plant lists. You should be able to go to the species list or a plant list and click on a link that will take you to the map of where someone is growing that plant.

There will also be Public locations for places like Quail, Denver Zoo, Mercer, WSU, KEW, Prafrance,... and we can enter and track the species and growth data at those locations.

Eventually there will also be links from the map to the photos taken at that location and from each photo back to the location.

If you are afraid of rustlers you can put you location as the center of town or the parking lot down the street or someplace else that is close but not exact.

Bill
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

boonut wrote:I noticed that the longitude/latitude info I entered in inches translated to decimal which didn't work right. Might want to add that the information should be submitted in decimal form. I updated the information so that I wouldn't be located in the Gulf of Mexico.
The entry form still needs a lot of work on it. In the final version you should be able to type in an address and Google will geocode it into the longitude/latitude info. You can then drag the pin to the final position.

Bill
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I am not too worried about rustlers... there aren't too many ways out of here and most folks don't just travel through deep South Texas on their way to anywhere but Mexico. :shock:

Besides, I have B. Bambos guarding my back yard and the farm. You don't want to tangle with bambos. 8) :lol:
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Rustlers probably wouldn't be much of a problem if the detailed map information is restricted to forum members only.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

foxd wrote:Rustlers probably wouldn't be much of a problem if the detailed map information is restricted to forum members only.
But that would be "exclusive" rather then "inclusive". Not everyone who is interested in bamboo should have to be a forum member just to view the information. I can understand the reasoning behind making people be a forum member to have the right to post, but unless this site becomes a profit making site, then I don't want to exclude viewing. If one is concerned about bamboo security, then he/she should not add the information to the website.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

I added the forum header and footer to map 3 and put it here: http://www.hollenback.com/bambooweb/bb/mapbb.php

Bill
needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

How do we envision that this map will be used, or restated, what is it intended to convey? Where a given species is being grown?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

needmore wrote:How do we envision that this map will be used, or restated, what is it intended to convey? Where a given species is being grown?
At first I wanted to add the maps as the front end for the growth data to show where species were grown. After working on it and the forum it also looked like it would be great to show more detail for the soil and weather information of members. Since we now have the plant lists that would also tie into the location information.

The growth and photo information will probably be the first additions to what I have now along with filtering from the species list to the map. I will also tie in the map and location information to the forum so people can enter their information without leaving the forum and I will put a location button to the map from the location fields on the left.

A lot can be done with the maps such as adding the sources and their bamboo lists from the ABS source list.

I welcome all suggestions and comments like should public locations have a different pin? If I ad the source list information I will make that a separate layer that can be turned on or off.

Bill
boonut

Post by boonut »

I am usually willing to let visitors take cuttings... but don't have a business yet. I want to be listed as a resource, but as a business - Yet. Does that make sense?
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

needmore
Location info: 0

Post by needmore »

So, will there be a map for each species - multiple maps? Perhaps you can sniff out that I am wondering if this is the opportunity I've sought for a few years - the idea of clicking on a species and seeing a map color coded with growing ranges. One color say green, highlites all the areas where this plant should do well, color 2 shows where it is worth growing but will be less than ideal, perhaps color 3 showing where one should expect annual die back but still the plant would be of interest in the landscape.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

needmore wrote:So, will there be a map for each species - multiple maps?
Much simpler than that. One map just filter the data that is shown on it. :D

As we get more growth data it would not be hard to show different icons or different colors of the bamboo icon to depict the viability of the species in that location.

I heard yesterday the french bamboo society printed an article with areas on maps that show the native ranges of a number of bamboos and it is now being translated into English. With the map we can add overlays with polygons showing the ranges of the bamboos and the user can turn on or off each layer or species.

I have been adding a lot of code to the maps that do not do anything for us now but will allow the scaling of the map as we add points.

Tomorrow I will get 6 CDs of bamboo photos from Ian Connor that he took on the importation trip. As I add those photos I will enter the location information so the photos will link from/to the map. The field has been in the database for over three years so it is time I start using it.

Bill
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

There is also the added complication of some people having bamboo in pots that are taken into a sheltered area during the winter and won't actually grow outside during the winter.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

foxd wrote:There is also the added complication of some people having bamboo in pots that are taken into a sheltered area during the winter and won't actually grow outside during the winter.
In the growth records there is a selector for "In Ground","Outdoor Container", or "Indoors". For a climate suitability map the default would be for in ground plants but I plan on having options to show all plants. Maybe showing potted plants with a container pin?

There is a lot to think about with the possibilities for the map. Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Bill
JohnC
Location info: 33

Post by JohnC »

This all sounds very cool, I hadn't realized you guys were working on this already.

If 20+ years of windows software development experience as well as asp.net and windows forms apps a lot of database work and a minor amount of Javascript is of any use l would be happy to help out (I take April to August off every year).