Photoadditions to the database anyone?

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Photoadditions to the database anyone?

Post by needmore »

Bill/Roy - I've just finished about 3 dozen new web pages with photos that I've added to my website. As I recall some of these are updates to photos that I had submitted here and those may be the only ones we have of a given species - Glauca Notso, Heteroclada solistem, Stimulosa come to mind - anyway there are new photos of those and also of new species I imported that are not yet in the list, but the new species are small non-descriptive photos and maybe not all that useful but none the less we could increase the database with them.

If you want to add the species names to the list we can avoid 'other' with them - all Phy.'s - Hispida, Prominens, Varioauriculata, Virella plus Pl. kodzumae. Also some already on the list but pretty new listings and not many photos a small Phy. kwangsiensis, Parvifolia, Phy. Propinqua 'Beijing' (Li Yu Gan) and more Phy. lithophylla Phy. makinoi pics etc.

I'm am fried from HOURS of dial-up up-loading and need to get away from it but you are welcome to grab them from my website with your high speed connections if so inclined.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Photoadditions to the database anyone?

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:Bill/Roy - I've just finished about 3 dozen new web pages with photos that I've added to my website. As I recall some of these are updates to photos that I had submitted here and those may be the only ones we have of a given species - Glauca Notso, Heteroclada solistem, Stimulosa come to mind - anyway there are new photos of those and also of new species I imported that are not yet in the list, but the new species are small non-descriptive photos and maybe not all that useful but none the less we could increase the database with them.

If you want to add the species names to the list we can avoid 'other' with them - all Phy.'s - Hispida, Prominens, Varioauriculata, Virella plus Pl. kodzumae. Also some already on the list but pretty new listings and not many photos a small Phy. kwangsiensis, Parvifolia, Phy. Propinqua 'Beijing' (Li Yu Gan) and more Phy. lithophylla Phy. makinoi pics etc.

I'm am fried from HOURS of dial-up up-loading and need to get away from it but you are welcome to grab them from my website with your high speed connections if so inclined.

Brad,

If Bill will put in the names, then I'll take the photos from your site and put them on Bambooweb.info.

I'm getting ready for a plant sale next weekend, so it will be another week before I can get to it.
Last edited by Roy on Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

RE: Photoadditions to the database anyone?

Post by bambooweb »

I will get the database names entered.

Brad,
Did Jos give an indication on how big your Prominens will need to get before you can get a positive ID? For now I can put a disclaimer in the description that the plants in the US might not be identified correctly.

Bill
needmore

Post by needmore »

No, we're hoping the next round of shoots will perhaps show mature features. We exchanged photos and he thinks that mine is proper - the ones in that batch that he believes incorrect look different to him, mine does not so I think the wrong ones were obvious to him while mine looks O.K. I know Adam donated one to the auction and as I brought back pieces of rhizome from a couple of plants I can not say that Adams look the same as mine - I have 2 and both are identical.

Perhaps Jos will let us use his photos? I'll try to remember to ask him.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Roy, you are doing yeoman's work loading photos here, do you feel like you know my dog from all the photos? You may currently be more intimate with my website than I am :shock:
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Photoadditions to the database anyone?

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:Roy, you are doing yeoman's work loading photos here, do you feel like you know my dog from all the photos? You may currently be more intimate with my website than I am :shock:
As many animal lovers as there are now, you might want to put that beautiful dog in every shot. :)

I also wanted to make sure I put in the hot link back to your site. I think this is an important acknowledgment for those sites who allow us to use their photos at the gallery.

I was wanting to make sure I didn't miss anything you thought should be added to the gallery, but silly me I didn't think to look back at your original post above and get the ones you posted there.

Phy. Propinqua 'Beijing' (Li Yu Gan)? Does that go under Phyllostachys propinqua 'Beijing'
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
needmore

Post by needmore »

Roy, as far as I can tell the cultivar name 'Beijing' is used only in the US and should be looked at by the species list team for validity. Since Beijing is all we have, I guess that is the appropriate place for the photos. I am going to use Li Yu Gan since the plant is uncommon at this point and folks will find more information under that name, but with ignorance at my side I am convinced that this bamboo belongs in the Glauca family not Propinqua and would push for that investigation by the species team more than the Beijing - Li Yu Gan issue. I'm not really sure who on the 'team' to talk to about this, Dr. Stapleton has already told me that Phyllostachys are not his area of expertise when I contacted him about it so who does that leave?

I want to see a true Propinqua in the US, Mike Hotchkis told me he believes that the Byron one is proper but I've yet to see the real species here, all of my photos previously posted as Propinqua s/b moved to Praecox (and I suspect that Violescens is a form of Praecox, another issue for the team). I may go to the 11/17 cleanup at Byron to dig a piece and see what it looks like.