Landscape photos

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Landscape photos

Post by needmore »

Bill, I've been racking my brain trying to think of more work for you and I finally have an idea :lol:

It seemed like people enjoyed participating in Ralph's garden contest and I can see how it could be beneficial to other bamboo growers to have a new photo database of 'Bamboo in the Landscape'.

I envision a 'state' box like the sources page, wherein one could upload photos of their bamboo gardens after selecting their state, making the photos available for viewers to select by state. If people here think this idea has merit, through their input we could even (I mean, YOU) break a state down into some broad regions where there are significantly different climactic conditions. For example, Roy has said the are 3 zones in FL, WA state surely has at least 2, TX multiple etc - some states may only have one. I would also think we (I mean YOU) could include other countries as those users indicated interest in participating.

Something simple that does NOT try to identify nor represent any single species of bamboo in the photos, just showing how others have incorporated bamboo into their landscape. I find it too difficult to categorize mixed species photos for uploading to the 'plants' database here and 'other photos' seems to be too vague for another user to peruse/view photos.

If there is a caption box the user could list species ID's if they wanted, particularly if there are only 1 or 2 in the photo but rather than try to capture species photos perhaps the photo submitter could indicate whether or not they are willing to have their PM or email link display on the photo so others could contact them directly for additional species info etc.

The intent of this would be a photo database that one could use for ideas of how to incorporate different species in their landscape; planting bamboo in small areas; mixing species etc - all relative to their general climate conditions but one could also get a general idea of what bamboo can look like in their area as well. Plus to provide a space for proud gardeners to show their stuff.

Anybody think this would be useful?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Markj

RE: Landscape photos

Post by Markj »

I kike it 8) , perhaps a yearly poll on the best~ with a free years membership for the winner!!!

Flame suit on :D It's dead easy to grow good looking 'boo but combining these plants with others in a 'garden' is another level, and very hard to achive...
Bamboo...Please note... This plant is seriously addictive and you may lose interest in other, less rewarding plants!
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1

Post by bambooweb »

Brad,
For a suggestion like that I am going to nominate you for President of the ABS. :)

Wait, I would not want to put you in a position where you could appoint me to do more work. :lol:

Are you going to be at the Conference? Maybe we should sit down and talk about Bambooweb V2. I am organizing things so there will be more connections between the forum, photos, data, locations and personal lists but I need to get my list of things to do written down so I can focus on one thing at a time instead of skipping around.

More landscaping ideas and photos would be good. I just finished planting around 100 daffodil bulbs at the edges of my bamboo so if the culms get winterkilled I have something to look at till the new shoots come up.

Bill
needmore

Post by needmore »

Bill, I don't have the budget to make the trip this year but I am willing to help out on Bambooweb however I can.

Daffodils and shoots are pretty close together out here so I'd have better luck with Helibores, the hardy, early, deer resistant lenten rose.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Well, you're off the hook Bill, it looks like nobody thinks much of this idea. It must have been the allure of winning a plant in Ralph's contest rather than seeing other urban bamboo gardens. I thought that this might be able to replace the growth data project - a picture is worth a thousand bytes of text or something like that.
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: Landscape photos

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:Well, you're off the hook Bill, it looks like nobody thinks much of this idea. It must have been the allure of winning a plant in Ralph's contest rather than seeing other urban bamboo gardens. I thought that this might be able to replace the growth data project - a picture is worth a thousand bytes of text or something like that.
Brad,

Not so. It's just that you seem to have the idea thought out so well that there's not much to add. I especially like the idea of the prize of a year's free membership in the Bambooweb.info forum.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

needmore wrote:Well, you're off the hook Bill, it looks like nobody thinks much of this idea. It must have been the allure of winning a plant in Ralph's contest rather than seeing other urban bamboo gardens. I thought that this might be able to replace the growth data project - a picture is worth a thousand bytes of text or something like that.
I was at a conference for the last few days, so I haven't been able to reply...

I think this is a great idea. I'd love to see some different applications of plantings, and also see some pictures of the overall forms of the different plants, since a lot of the pictures in the database are of individual culms, sheaths, leafs, etc.
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Brad,
I thought you would be at the conference since you have a good chance of becoming a Rep. The current ABS president has resigned so the position is available and now you say you will not be there to turn it down. :twisted: :lol:

On the Landscape photo question. What do you think of having a button like the "my plants" button on the posts and one in the profiles that will take you to each members photo page for landscape and misc. photos?

Bill
Roy

Post by Roy »

bambooweb wrote:Brad,
I thought you would be at the conference since you have a good chance of becoming a Rep. The current ABS president has resigned so the position is available and now you say you will not be there to turn it down. :twisted: :lol:

On the Landscape photo question. What do you think of having a button like the "my plants" button on the posts and one in the profiles that will take you to each members photo page for landscape and misc. photos?

Bill
Dang it! And I never even harassed her about the "Silence of the Culms". I thought about it, but I was willing to give her a chance. ABS president's job must be tough. We have more of them resign than Presidents' of the United States of America.
Roy Rogers
bambooweb
Site Admin

Post by bambooweb »

Roy wrote: Dang it! And I never even harassed her about the "Silence of the Culms". I thought about it, but I was willing to give her a chance. ABS president's job must be tough. We have more of them resign than Presidents' of the United States of America.
JoAnne's husband recently passed away and she wants time to grieve and get her life in order and focus on her nursery. It is to bad because she worked hard to correct the problems with the membership.

Bill
Roy

Post by Roy »

bambooweb wrote:
Roy wrote: Dang it! And I never even harassed her about the "Silence of the Culms". I thought about it, but I was willing to give her a chance. ABS president's job must be tough. We have more of them resign than Presidents' of the United States of America.
JoAnne's husband recently passed away and she wants time to grieve and get her life in order and focus on her nursery. It is to bad because she worked hard to correct the problems with the membership.

Bill
And I had to open my big mouth without knowing the details.
Roy Rogers
needmore

Post by needmore »

Bill, I think that it would be more open to more people if the photos had a pull-down state/region list. If I understood your idea it sounds like someone would have to be inside of a post or the member list to click a link to the photos. I am thinking that this could be a powerful tool for folks who don't frequent the forum, much as the Source List, a tool to help them dial in on appropriate species for their area - or inappropriate species if the spirit moves them.

Seeing bamboo used in the landscape is not really represented on the internet and we could be the site to fill that gap. People could see clumpers clumping and runners behaving. The ease of a pull down state menu seems the key to me?
Roy

Post by Roy »

needmore wrote:...snip....

People could see clumpers clumping and runners behaving.

...snip
I've never quite heard it put that way before! :lol:
Roy Rogers