Gracilis bamboo dying, and it's spreading through row now

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

minimatt
Location info: 0

Gracilis bamboo dying, and it's spreading through row now

Post by minimatt »

We have a row of Gracilis planted up two fence lines surrounding our pool. They were growing fantastically over the last year or so, then just one plant on the back fence started to look a little sad and the trunks blackened. We asked the bamboo place we brought them from and they said they're not sure, but to use confidor spray and tablets, so we did. It didn't seem to help. Now, over the course of the last month, the problem has spread rapidly to about 8 other plants and not just the ones beside the one that originally had the problem. I have no idea what to do, so I'm here hoping some of you bamboo experts can help save them :) Pics attached.

Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Gracilis bamboo dying, and it's spreading through row no

Post by Alan_L »

What's on the other side of the fence? Possible that the neighbors are doing something to the soil or spraying something? Some people are paranoid about bamboo...
JamesF

Post by JamesF »

Hi there,
I have a row of Gracilis along the sie of my pool and it is starting to look exactly like the photos minimatt posted.
I am presuming the cause is something to do with the chemistry of the pool water 'poisoning' the plants. But does anyone know whether it is chlorine, salt, ph, hardness etc that would be the cause? or too soggy? It is definitely not the neighbours!
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
James
RichieRich

Post by RichieRich »

Did you ever figure this out? We have a similar issue with Gracilis. Our neighbours put an above ground plunge pool in along the fence in summer, and they left the water running - a lot of water leaks through, but we do have good drainage. I wonder if it was the chlorine that perhaps caused this.

That was 4 months ago, and I would have expected it to recover. There are a few new ones growing, but not nearly has thick or hardy as the bamboo further along the fence. Many of the new shoots die off before they grow more than a few inches. Lots of black spots on the branches too. Very curious and concerned as I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.