New predator?

Controlling pests of bamboo

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

New predator?

Post by johnw »

Inspecting the bissetii tonight a new 36" cane was cleanly cut off halfway up. On closer inspection the culprit was found. It was the tiniest slug I have ever seen, circa 1/8 inch long and completely black. Dropped it as I was about to squash it under foot and never found it again. Put some slug tape down in case there any others are luking about. I don't think by any means that it is specific to bamboo just surprised that a juvenile could wreak such havoc, I would have suspected our giant leopard slugs - 8"'ers - maybe, but not these.

Has anyone had such slug damage?

johnw
Last edited by johnw on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
canadianplant

Re: New predator?

Post by canadianplant »

No damage to my bamboo personally, however, I will mention that Ive noticed a crazy amount of "new" insects, beetles and especially caterpillars. Also more slugs this year, but I recognize them. I watched some green caterpillars destroy a 4 foot Josaberry bush in 6 hours though....

Can you post a pic of the culm?
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

I could post a pic next time I'm out there but really not much to see other than the top laying on the ground and the bottom half cut off midway up.

johnw
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Yes, those tiny slugs can be voracious. They especially love those tender new shoots, leaves of any kind of plant. My struggling Nuda bamboo managed to put pop some tiny shoots this spring but was promptly devoured. I didn't catch the culprit but I highly suspect the slug, if not, then the pill bugs. It was a bit too early in the season to suspect other critters like grasshoppers, beetles, etc.